Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
fenfinolhu
Reel Rookie

Netflix Casting from mobile

I am unable to cast to Roku from mobiles without login into Netflix from the Roku device. in my home, we have multiple netflix accounts and everytime it requires the users to log in to Roku separately

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Netflix Casting from mobile

@fenfinolhu 

That's how casting works.

With casting, the mobile device (your phone) sends a command to the streaming device  (your Roku) telling it to launch the app (Netflix), load the particular content, and proceed to the corresponding timestamp.

What many think happens is the phone is dong the streaming. They're incorrect. Once you start casting to Roku (or Chromecast, which works the same way), the stream is now from the Roku, which means the Roku app is running. If the app requires you to log in to use, then you must log in to use.

You can confirm this by casting something, then while it's playing on Roku, shut your phone off. The stream will still continue on Roku, because the Roku only got the instructions about streaming from the phone, not the stream itself.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

Ello2022
Roku Guru

@fenfinolhu  Multiple accounts or multiple profiles? Like DB said if you have Netflix on your Roku and Netflix on your phone your not really casting. Your just giving a command to your Roku to start the Netflix channel. Then your Roku takes over 

0 Kudos
fenfinolhu
Reel Rookie

Actually, in chromecast netflix works without a need or requirement to login in. It passes authentication. similarly, youtube passes authentication to Roku and you will see your username logged in. 

Apparently, Netflix doesn't allow to pass authentication to Roku as youtube does. Netflix support confirmed that only chrome cast supports the option like that.
I wish Roku work with Netflix to support the same.

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.