Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LisanTodd
Channel Surfer

NFL App gives Error Code 403 Forbidden

I have a paid subscription for the NFL app. It was fine until about two weeks ago. When I try to play live content, I get this message: “Error Playing Content / error code: 403 Forbidden.” I have reset the router, updated the app, removed the app after restarting my Roku TV, etc. All to no avail. I am open to any suggestion. Thank you. 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
11 REPLIES 11
LisanTodd
Channel Surfer

SOLVED: NFL App gives Error Code 403 Forbidden

I found a solution thanks to @eggwhites57!

Go into TV Settings-> Privacy -> Advertising and make sure the "Limit Ad Tracking" box is NOT checked. I did that and now AMC+ is working perfectly on my 4K Roku. Give it a try!

What’s funny is that I had to do the opposite. I put a check mark next to “limit ad tracking.” Regardless, it worked. Good luck to anyone else experiencing the error code 403.

0 Kudos
Donborru
Reel Rookie

Re: NFL App gives Error Code 403 Forbidden

I too am having really annoying difficulties being kicked off NFL. I have Roku express, Sling TV provider and tried all the things you did. Plus another user suggesting unchecking advertising box in privacy settings. No luck. No other tiles give me problems. Just NFL. It works for a while then 33% loading and circle forever. Also get code 403 forbidden. Any help please! 

RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Donborru,

Thanks for posting in the Roku Community!

If the issue is only with the channel alone, this is a good indication that there is likely an issue within that specific channel that will need to be addressed with an update from the channel publisher. Channels on Roku are created and maintained by each channel publisher. In this case, you'll want to reach out to that channel publisher directly to share your feedback. 

Keep us posted with what you find out.

Best regards,
Mary

Nadine225

Even though everything else on NFL plays? Only the live showings I will give this message. I can view the games on my phone and tablet fine. It's just on Roku where it's giving the issue. Can you guys contact them on your end on the behalf of your loyal customers to check the connections for live viewing, since a lot of customers is having the same issue?

haney85
Reel Rookie

If the problem is most effective with the channel alone, this is a good indication that there's likely an problem within that specific channel in an effort to need to be addressed with an replace from the channel writer link.

0 Kudos
redpanther
Channel Surfer

YES! 403 FORBIDDEN! AGAIN AND AGAIN. THERE IS NO SOLUTION EXCEPT GOING BACK AND FORTH TO THE CHANNEL WITH THE REMOTE FOR 20 TO 30 MINUTES UNTIL IT FINALLY CONNECTS. SOMEBODY AT NFL NEEDS TO DO SOMETHING, ANYTHING!

RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

Hey @redpanther

We do apologize for the inconvenience this has caused.

Does the issue only occur on NFL or across other channels installed on your Roku device?

If you haven't tried yet, you can remove the affected channel then re-install it. To ensure the process is successful, make sure to restart your device before adding the channel back in. We would recommend doing this from the Settings menu by navigating to Settings System System restart Restart.

For detailed instructions, refer to this Support link: How do I resolve channel playback issues?

Let us know how it goes!

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
redpanther
Channel Surfer

hey kariza,

you are ill-informed. you know nothing. the nfl app is full of. it continues to give errors. i followed all your directions - it does nothing to correct the problem. look at all the others who have posted the same 403 forbidden . sling and nfl app is worthless. i will cancel it.

Donborru
Reel Rookie

I continue to have the same Forbidden 403 error with freezing at 33% all the time with the NFL app. Right smack in the middle of the greatest NFL playoff weekend in my memory. It’s horrible customer service that me and others can’t get a fix.