Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
liizzymillerr
Reel Rookie

NBA TV League Pass live stream slow/out of sync/lagging

The audio and video on the #NBALeaguePass channel are significantly #out of sync. Every other device, such as mobile and computer viewing, is perfectly fine and has no issues, but every game I try to watch on the NBA League Pass on Roku is lagging. I have tried to log out and back into the channel with my subscription, restarting my Roku device, and fast-forwarding to keep up. The channel and my Roku are up to date too. I am unsure if this is a recurring theme for live streams on Roku, but it is annoying and inconvenient, especially since I am paying for a monthly premium subscription. I just got my Roku last year and saw a previous solution to buy a new one, but why should I spend money when Roku has an issue with only one of my channels? Not sure what else to do

10 REPLIES 10
RokuLianna
Retired Moderator

Re: NBA TV League Pass live stream slow/out of sync/lagging

Hi @liizzymillerr
Welcome to the Roku Community!

Does the issue only occur on NBA or across other channels installed on your Roku device?

Have you tried removing the affected channel NBA and then re-install again? If not, we suggest starting there. In some cases, removing the affected channel and then re-installing it may help. Restart your device before re-adding the channel back in to ensure the process is successful. We recommend doing this through the Settings menu by navigating to Settings > System > Power (If there is no Power submenu, proceed to the next step.) > System restart.

For detailed instructions, refer to this Support link for more information: How to resolve a channel playback issue | Official Roku Support.

Let us know if there's any difference after.

Warm Regards,
Lianna

0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Please expand on what you mean by out of sync.

Audio not syncing with video?   Sometimes a restart of the Roku can fix this if it is an internal-to-your-Roku problem:  Settings > System > Power (if present in your model) > System restart.   Also removing and reloading the channel app to be sure you have a good copy of the latest version of the app may help.  Be sure to restart the Roku as mentioned above to clear out its memory AFTER removing the channel and BEFORE re-adding it

Delay in seeing the program vs other sources like cable or over-the-air local tv station?  This is the nature of live broadcasts over streaming.  The signal must pass through several additional steps of signal manipulations to get to you compared to the actual live event.  Any step that involves compressing or transcoding the signal introduces delays, which can be several seconds each.  Plus when streaming, your system caches a download-ahead-of-viewing buffer several second in length to allow it to keep playing through short duration signal interruptions.  For live baseball games that I can get locally via antenna I've seen the same game via the MLB app on Roku to be 20-30 seconds behind.  It's just the nature of the beast.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos

I have the same issue.  Audio gets way ahead of video.  Re-installing app doesn't help.

liizzymillerr
Reel Rookie

Hi Lianna,

Thanks for replying! NBA TV is the only channel that does this. I watch live games on TNT and ESPN and have no issues whatsoever. I have tried signing out and signing back in, but I think because I have a subscription, it will not let me remove the channel to re-download it. However, apparently, others have tried this method, and it still does not work. Like I said in my initial post, I have tried restarting and updating the system, and it still does this. The live games on NBA TV work perfectly on my mobile device. Therefore, there has been no difference since doing these methods. I have seen posts published last year about this problem, so maybe it is a recurring issue that needs more attention. 

0 Kudos
liizzymillerr
Reel Rookie

Hello. Thanks for replying to my post.

As I said in my initial post, I have already restarted the system. Based on other people's posts, this does not work for them either 😞 

To explain more, for instance, when the play-by-play and color commentators are talking about a foul, the foul happens after they say it. Another example is the sideline sound effects are off – so when a ref calls a foul/blows their whistle, the actual play doesn't come onto the screen for a solid 8-10 seconds. 

I know there is an intentional lag regarding live televised programs, specifically live sports. I have one degree in TV production and one degree in broadcasting, so I'd see the difference between an intended and unintended lag. Typically, when there is a purposeful lag from a network (e.g., ABC), the audio and video are still in sync (matches up). The only difference is real-time playback. So, technically, it is not "live." This intentional lag, which can be as low as 3-5 seconds and can increase depending on the network and content (industry standard really doesn't go as high as 30 seconds), can be used for bleeping out cuss words, last-second cuts, enough buffer time for newsrooms/directors/producers, time maintenance, or just a usual lag with live broadcasts. Therefore, when the audio does not match with video playback, there is an issue with the transmission or transfer of the broadcast from NBA TV to Roku. I am unsure if the problem is from Roku's hub/receivable end or something else since this does not happen with any other channel (e.g., ESPN or TNT) or on any of my other devices. I appreciate your reply. 

0 Kudos
RokuLianna
Retired Moderator

Hi  @liizzymillerr

Thanks for keeping in touch!

Many channels on Roku are maintained by the channel provider themselves. Since the error only occurs on the NBA channel, that's an indication that there's likely an issue within that specific channel that needs to be addressed with an update from them. We indeed recommend contacting NBA Support to report the issue and get help.

Thank you for your understanding.

Warm Regards,
Lianna

liizzymillerr
Reel Rookie

Thanks for the suggestion, I will reach out to their support team! 

0 Kudos
NBAappLagFIXit
Channel Surfer

Same problem.  Maybe Roku should reach out NBATV... lazy

CR46

Writing this on 12/30/2022, can you respond with the current status?

Voice was ahead of the game...  listening "Lebron shoots, misses" then watching 4 seconds later, here's the shot and miss.   Too frustrating to watch a game!!!!

also, on roku and web, account would NOT remember NO SCORES mode, taking away adventure of watching a full game.

And when watching the full game they skipped pass bringing in the ball which was available as an option showing only the possessions with a made basket.  ruins the drama of a real game!
Is this still going on?     I canceled because I kept having this problem back in October.

==============  attempted fixes
I rebooted Roku,   NO FIX

uninstalled NBA, rebooted Roku, reinstalled NBA app   DID NOT FIX

I had the same sync issue with sound ahead of the video.

I've had NBA all access for 4 years, there were none of these issues!