Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Obscure541
Streaming Star

Re: My Roku is adding channels automatically, how can I stop it?

Hey Boogernose, I got one for ya, I went and downloaded Mozilla Firefox, everything was going great, I was really liking it...,until and I don't know why or how this happened all of a sudden my browser said GOOGLE SEARCH, I had set Firefox as my default, any ideas? I'm almost afraid to try this again Just when I thought I understood things THIS happens

0 Kudos
andyross
Roku Guru

To disable Internet searching on the address bar in Firefox: In the Options menu, go to Search. Turn on the option for a separate Search bar. Then lower down, UNCHECK the option "Show search suggestions in address bar results".

FirefoxSearch.jpg

Obscure541
Streaming Star

I know I shouldn't even be talking about this here, and I know you must be very busy with other post which are related to Roku. So if you choose not to reply I will understand; I am struggling with this, can you tell me why Google search appears at all. This is confusing to me, if I'm downloading firefox to be my browser, why is Google search automatically there? Personally I h8 Google search, and don't want google in my pc.

After everything I read about firefox I can see why it comes so highly recommended, and I don't want to uninstall yet another copy. I am going back to try this again one problem is I am not  getting the same as what your screen shot is. If I am taking up too much time, or if this is just to inappropriate for this community I will stop asking for your help ok? ok!

0 Kudos
Obscure541
Streaming Star

making progress I've got the right page at least 

0 Kudos
Obscure541
Streaming Star

ok, checked same boxes as your example, then what? I AM sorry

0 Kudos
Obscure541
Streaming Star

I feel SOooo stupid, but if I have to choose a search engine then I want Bing what my pc uses anyways. So if I'm going to use firefox as my browser, I thought ( plz forgive my innocence )

never mind I AM stupid 😞 I probably need more help than you should give me here 

0 Kudos
andyross
Roku Guru

With those Firefox selections, you are a bit safer as you need to specifically use the search bar to access your default search engine. You can change in the one option just below where you enable the search bar.

The new Microsoft Edge can be configured to not search using the address bar, but there is no option to add a separate Search Bar. The closest I could find was a Chrome extension called SearchBar that adds an icon you can click to get a search bar. Chrome probably has a similar setting.

NewEdgeSearch.jpg

Obscure541
Streaming Star

Thanks Andyross, I run a Microsoft pc, with windows 10, and edge, what I found in the past on my last pc trying to use Google Chrome only caused conflicts, which why I have my attitude towards Google. I can use Google search on a tablet, but I don't need to use it on my pc. 

I don't do a lot of web based searching, or downloads of any kind on my pc, to keep it clean and trouble free. ( something I learned from tech support long ago) Basically I use my pc for scanning and printing art. 

I don't engage on social media, and I do any web based searching on a tablet.( less secure but cheaper to replace than a pc) This probably more information than you want.

But at least now I finally grasp there is a search engine, and a browser, the browser still requires a search engine am I  right? I do like Firefox, so is it safer to use Firefox as my browser, and if so then shouldn't I just set my search engine to Bing? If this is all I need to do, then that simple, the screen shot Boogernose gave was very helpful.

Thank You very much for responding 🙂

0 Kudos
Obscure541
Streaming Star

Sorry after thought. What about the new Edge? I found a download for the newest edge, which uses Google chrome technology?

0 Kudos
andyross
Roku Guru

The new Edge, which has the round blue-green icon, is based on the Chromium engine. Firefox uses an engine called Gecko. To be honest, Chrome has such a command of browsing these days that anything not using Chromium may someday run into problems.