Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Rlalum72
Channel Surfer

My Roku always buffering on any channel

My Roku is buffering when watching any channel every few minutes (really annoying).  It never use to do this.  I have checked my internet connection and Roku says it is excellent.  I have restarted the device, updated the software, restarted my modem.  No addition devices are connected to the modem/router.  I have an ultra 4800 series roku.  Internet speed is >150Mbps.  Any ideas?

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
Strega
Roku Guru

Re: My Roku always buffering on any channel

It might help to list those channels.  Sometimes when someone says "any channel", they really mean "any channel within their cable company/TV provider app" which turns out to be a problem on the provider's end.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: My Roku always buffering on any channel

There's really only two possible reasons for buffering during playback. One is that the Roku is defective (unlikely but not impossible) and the other is a networking issue. Note that the network issue might not be your home network, but could be some problem your ISP is having. When you do an Network connection test, what speed is it reporting?

The 4800 has been (for me) pretty accurate in reporting it's network speed, up to the limits of either the wired or wireless access point used. For example, my home Internet speed varies between 600-700 Mbps. My 4800 reports 93 Mbps wired (which is accurate for a Fast Ethernet connection) and around 205 Mbps wireless (likely the limits of the hardware Roku uses for the WiFi radio). 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos