Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Missing the UK TV app No longer available?

Why was UK TV dropped?

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Missing the UK TV app No longer available?

@backstepmom 

It's unlikely Roku will comment on an app removal.

Usually, when an app leaves the Channel Store, it's for three common reasons. That doesn't mean it was one of those, but these are the most likely.

• The app developer decided to no longer support the service. If it's a small service, it may be that it costs more to run than the money made from subscriptions or ads. Rather than continue to lose money, the service will shut down.
  • Sometimes, a developer will remove an app from a particular platform. This is not as common, but it does happen. It's worth mentioning that the apps for each of the four major platforms are all separate apps. That is, the Roku app won't work on Google TV. The Apple TV app won't work on Fire TV. And so on. Sometimes smaller developers will drop a platform if it's too much to maintain so many versions of an app.
  • Sometimes, Roku removes an app because the content violates copyright. Some services will rebroadcast content without proper licensing agreements in place. If Roku becomes aware of illegal content, they will remove the app. Roku usually won't call them out publicly, giving the app developer the opportunity to secure proper licensing and relaunch the service.

There could be other reasons, but these are very common reasons this happens.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Missing the UK TV app No longer available?

Why is a channel no longer available on my Roku® streaming device? | Official Roku Support

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.