Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Emc360

Max app error message: "can't authenticate this device"

New TV, every time I try to open Max on my TV, it shows the blue Max screen, then this error message: "Sorry, but we were unable to authenticate your device and can't continue." with an 'exit' button as the only option. 

All other apps work on the TV: Netflix, Prime, Hulu, YouTube. Max works on my phone but I don't watch movies on my tiny phone screen. 

I have done every kind of "turn it off and back on" there is: powered off and back on, uninstalled and reinstalled the Max app, checked for updates on the Max app and Roku, I did a system restart with the Roku, unplugged everything for 5 minutes, checked my display type (1080p), checked Internet speed (fast, and have spent too many emails with the folks at Max who just suggested all these tricks, I don't understand what's wrong. 

I cannot even get to a sign-in screen. 

Has anyone dealt with this and found a fix? 

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.