Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
george35
Reel Rookie

Local Channels coming from the Roku TV compared to 'local channels' I see on my cable provider.

Jump to solution

I'm confused.  I just got up and running on my Roku TV, and signed up for News-on and Hays.  I'm also still connected to my ISP, and have their video box--hooked up to a different TV than my Roku TV.  I want 'local channels'---JUST like I see my 'local channels' coming through on my cable hooked up TV.  The 'local channels' I see on the Roku TV are broadcasting something completely different than what's I'm seeing on my cable supplied channels.  I don't get it.  I'd like to see the SAME thing on---for instance--my 'channel 5'--whether I'm watching my cable feed, or the Roku TV.  

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Local Channels coming from the Roku TV compared to 'local channels' I see on my cable provider.

Jump to solution

You are paying for local channel access through your cable company. 

The channel apps local stations make available for streaming services like Roku often only contain rebroadcasts of their local news and weather.  They likely do not have the rights to stream network (ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX) programming

If you are where you can pick up your local channels via an over-the-air antenna connected to the antenna input on your Roku TV (or non-Roku TV for that matter), you can get live broadcasts of your local channels that way for free.

If not, you'll have to continue to pay for a subscription to a service that carries your locals.  Many cable systems have a lower cost "lifeline" tier that includes just locals and a handful of other channels like weather and CSPAN.

Otherwise, you'll have to pay for a streaming service that carries your locals.  Check what's available from Youtube TV, Sling, Hulu Plus Live TV, Fubu TV, etc to see which ones have the local channels you want.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Local Channels coming from the Roku TV compared to 'local channels' I see on my cable provider.

Jump to solution

You are paying for local channel access through your cable company. 

The channel apps local stations make available for streaming services like Roku often only contain rebroadcasts of their local news and weather.  They likely do not have the rights to stream network (ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX) programming

If you are where you can pick up your local channels via an over-the-air antenna connected to the antenna input on your Roku TV (or non-Roku TV for that matter), you can get live broadcasts of your local channels that way for free.

If not, you'll have to continue to pay for a subscription to a service that carries your locals.  Many cable systems have a lower cost "lifeline" tier that includes just locals and a handful of other channels like weather and CSPAN.

Otherwise, you'll have to pay for a streaming service that carries your locals.  Check what's available from Youtube TV, Sling, Hulu Plus Live TV, Fubu TV, etc to see which ones have the local channels you want.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
Strega
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Also, if you plan to keep the cable, and want to see the same thing, see if they have a Roku App. Spectrum and Xfinity do. Probably others do as well. Try searching for the cable company’s name here:

https://channelstore.roku.com

0 Kudos
george35
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thank you, makaiguy and Strega!  I'm getting more of a handle on streaming versus cable versus antenna.  Appreciate the suggestions.  I happen to live way out in the boondocks in way northern Minnesota. 

I'm confident, an antenna isn't going to receive any signals out here, but, in spite of my location, I DO have access to cable.  I'm also exploring Dish and/or Direct TV.  My monthly cable bill is simply getting way too high, but for the time being, I guess I'm over the barrel, and may stick with the cable. 

0 Kudos
george35
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Us boomer, old guys need to do everything possible to try to stay borderline relevant.  

0 Kudos