Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JimmyO
Streaming Star

Known issue with Xfinity Stream App / Roku external devices OS 11.5 Build 4312

Just wanted to make the community aware of an issue with the Comcast Xfinity Stream app and Roku external devices.  Users started reporting an audio issue to Xfinity TV support in late October 2022.  Basically, the sound will generally become very loud and distorted or alternatively very low.  Exiting the Stream app and re-entering it clears the audio issue.  The issue is not seen for me in any other apps on Roku including Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc. 

I see the issue on a Roku streamer Wifi, Roku 4802R (ethernet), and a Roku stream bar 9102R (ethernet via USB 2.0 port dongle).  All are running Roku OS 11.5.  Streambar sees the issue about 3-4 times per day.  It is at Build 4312-95.  The problem appears to have started after the Xfinity Stream app update in late October.  

Here is the support thread on Xfinity forums:

‎Stream App volume fluctuations  (low to really loud) | Xfinity Community Forum

I'm posting this here in the hopes that Roku engineering can help Xfinity support determine the root cause and a resolution.  

JimmyO

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
93 REPLIES 93
JimmyO
Streaming Star

Re: Known issue with Xfinity Stream App / Roku external devices OS 11.5 Build 4312

I just checked my Xfinity email and looks like Comcast has a fix in the works and a planned update to the Xfinity Stream app around 1/3/23:

From Xfinity Support:

Hello, Jim! Thanks for reaching out to us on the Xfinity Forums. I hope you are doing well! I was able to pull the account up and see you have been with us since 2016 at this location. I want to take a moment and thank you for this continued loyalty! I apologize to hear that you are having issues with the audio on your Roku devices when it comes to the Xfinity stream app. It looks like we have been working on a fix for this issue which should be coming out in the next update to the streaming app. If I read the notes right, this might be around 1/3 but is always subject to change. Would you like us to follow up with you around that time to see if the new update was released and fixed the issue?

I'll respond back after testing the "update" in January 2023.....

JimmyO

JimmyO
Streaming Star

Re: Known issue with Xfinity Stream App / Roku external devices OS 11.5 Build 4312

Received feedback Xfinity is still performing QA testing for a new version of app.  New version now due some time later in January.

Tags (1)
Hoops
Reel Rookie

I too have been having audio problems with the Xfinity Streaming app since early October.   I am working directly with their ECare team.

There is an Xfinity national support ticket for this issue.   The number is  ESL04399994.

0 Kudos
Drummernaut
Streaming Star

I have been watching this subject for a while. My problems started over a month ago mainly with ESPN. As stated previously I have 4 problems that happen. 1. The volume goes up. 2. The volume goes up real high and distorts. 3. The volume goes down to near non-existance. 4. I lose the left side of the stereo output. I have also had the volume clip in and out horribly on the NFL app, then the ROKU reboots. That has happened 3 times. Here is what the distotion sounds like: ESPN loud distortion 

In this clip you hear the distortion. I then leave the program on the app and go back to the same program, then all is normal. This volume problem happens intermittently through the day. It could happen every 30 minutes or sometimes not at all.

ROKU Streaming Stick+

11.5.0-4312

3810X

0 Kudos
libtard
Binge Watcher

I am having the same issue. Had Xfinity service tech out but that was useless as they aren't trained to troubleshoot these kind of issues. 

I have (4) TV's using the Roku Ultra devices and( 1) Xfinity main box in my home that were working fine for "years". A few months ago we started to have audio sync problems or audio loudness issues would occur. These audio issue are as follows:

1. TV is on for some period of time ( could be 20 minutes or 3 hours) then the audio would drop in level or increase in level to the point where it would be blasting.

2. TV is on for some period of time then the audio becomes distorted. 

3. TV is on for some period of time then the video leads the audio by as much as 4-7 seconds. This is not a minor sync issue. 

Temporary fixes to date:

1. When the problem occurs, we step off channel then return back to the desired channel and problem is corrected for some period. 

2. Reset all devices in the chain including Asus router, Netgear modem & Xfinity box. Router and modem both certified to work with Xfinity. Reset preformed several times.

3. Had Xfinity service technician at home to diagnose problem and reset Xfinity equipment. 

System setup from Xfinity demarcation:

Xfinity cable to Netgear cable modem, Cat 6 cable from cable modem to Asus router, Cat 6 cable from router to  Netgear multi port switched (unmanaged), Cat 6 cable to all Roku devices. 

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@Drummernaut @libtard

Thanks for the posts.

We would be more than happy to look further into this issue, but we will nee more detailed information. Can you please provide us the following information:

• Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
  • does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found be selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
  • tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times and provide us with this ID)

Once we have this information, we will be able to pass it along to the appropriate Roku team to investigate further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
JimmyO
Streaming Star

Hi Danny,

The point of my post was to notify fellow Roku owners of the issue.  Comcast has taken ownership of the problem and is working on a fix for the Xfinity stream app.  It is not a Roku OS issue.  I'm still waiting on the updated Xfinity Stream app.

JimmyO

0 Kudos
libtard
Binge Watcher

Funny that Comcast has taken ownership because today I received a call from  Comcast tech support in response to my negative feedback about their service. I had a 10 minute conversation with the person who repeatedly said, "First time we're hearing about this" I said that's strange because it's all over the blogs on both Comcast and Roku. Waiting for Comcast to resolve an issue is like waiting for the 2nd coming of ...

libtard
Binge Watcher

Hello Danny,

Thanks for your reply. Please see below for the answers to your questions.

1. (Q) Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version. I have (4) Roku boxes with the same issue. The info provided will be from one of the (4) boxes. They are all the Ultra boxes.
  2. Model 4660X Ultra, SN-YJ007N385424, SV, 11.5.0 BUILD 4312-46, ID CK3927385424

1. (Q) Does this issue occur on a specific channel?
  2. No, it happens on all Xfinity Stream channels. It doesn’t happen on Netflix, Hulu, etc.

1. (Q) When it happens, what channel and what version/build is the channel?
  2. Xfinity version 6.9 / Build 0 / ID 24-035-793

In this case the audio was out of sync with the video.

0 Kudos