Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mommacowhick08
Reel Rookie

Keeps kicking me out of my apps and back to the home screen

Help! So on apps especially Hulu, prime and HBO max within minutes of beginning a show it kicks me off and back to the home screen. This just started about a week ago and I just deleted and reinstalled the apps and still having the same issues. 

77 REPLIES 77
mandy11
Roku Guru

Re: Keeps kicking me out of my apps and back to the home screen

You should not have to wait long and you will go back to home screen again. I tried the factory reset on two TV's this morning and low and behold after having to reenter all the passwords and **bleep** that you go thru to do a factory reset.

30 Minutes later I;m back at the home screen among with those other two people that did the factory reset.

This is a game Roku is playing to see what your breaking point is. Prove me wrong Roku Mary......

BJames
Binge Watcher

Hmmm, my old Roku is several years old now and this hasn't happened to them.  Then I realized I have never updated that Roku.  It has to be the software since my old Roku works fine, on my OLED tv, and the new Roku had this kicking issue with the latest software installed.  Just a thought.  Oh, factory reset doesn't solve the problem, I did that as well and it continued to kick the tv to the home page multiple times until I finally got fed up, returned the new Roku and used the old Roku from one of my other tv's on the OLED tv.  As I said, no problems in the last 2 days.

0 Kudos
Aldebrand
Binge Watcher

We don't have Hulu up in Canada so I think it's just a coincidence. Albeit our Disney plus has Hulu programming and that's the app I find has the most issues. 

Conniem1979
Channel Surfer

When you have the same streaming service on every TV in your house, and have spent a lot of money on those TV’s, it’s not so simple.

BJames
Binge Watcher

So my question is clearing the cache on a Roku TV?  I don't have a Roku TV.

0 Kudos
mandy11
Roku Guru

And you are lucky you don’t have a Roku TV because if you did, it would be kicking you back to the home page too

Conniem1979
Channel Surfer

They have no answer. Literally, NOTHING works. It has gotten even worse since I posted the question, which I didn’t even consider possible. My TV’s wouldn’t work yesterday at all. Today, my daughter has been watching a movie and had no issues. It is far worse at night, when it’s late here on the East Coast, and evening on the West. It’s not a problem with the apps, the tv, the Wi-Fi, or anything else. It is a problem with ROKU. I have no doubt there is some team trying to fix the issue and stay quiet until they do. If they don’t, you’ll be seeing one of those commercials…”If you purchased a Roku SmartTV before June 2023”.

Conniem1979
Channel Surfer

Re: attn: NomadVagabond - Keeps kicking me out of my apps and back to the home screen

Thank you for the reply, I really do appreciate it. It’s now at the point that I would have to contact every app I have. I literally got so frustrated last night, I tried them all. My Wi-Fi is great, and initially was the first thing I checked and have done again. After reaching out to numerous outlets, and trying everything that was suggested, everything has been eliminated other than this being a network problem. I know it isn’t affecting everyone, but I’m also far from being the only one. Hopefully, they resolve whatever the issue is soon, before it does start to affect everyone. 

0 Kudos
AnnoyedLady
Streaming Star

oooookay.. here's my final comment on this issue.. the last couple days I've been reading different blogs about this booting problem, and investigated the cache- clearing suggestion, and here's my takeaway: clearing the cache will be identical to setting it back to factory settings... you'll have to reprogram the unit with your language preferences, set up the wifi connection, blahblah, and while your ACCOUNT ITSELF will be unaffected, as in your chosen apps will reappear (with the passwords intact!) if you've gone to the trouble of "hiding" and "favoriting" channels on the Live TV app.. you'll have to do it all over again.

So, basically, clearing the cache has the identical result of if you stuck a pin in the hole to reboot it (which also returns it to factory settings!) so why putz around pressing the Home button 5 times and all that jazz... and after I rebooted the unit on the 20th, it developed a new, additional issue of the volume randomly spiking despite the volume leveling feature on the Roku AND my TV... 

My opinion is: the Express device is like what, $29 (and you don't need the upgrade model for the voice control if you install the app, it HAS the voice function!!) and mine lasted almost a year, so $29/year isn't bad and is a million times better than paying a cable subscription, isn't it? So just toss the malfunctioning device and get another one.. just be sure to erase your info first!!

And @mandy11... Apple+ has a monthly fee of around $10 which is roughly $120/yr, right? And doesn't have as much programming as the Roku.. so actually you're paying more for less...

Okay, th- th- th- that's IT, folks! ((Porky Pig))