Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dbdb
Reel Rookie

Joining an Amazon Watch Party on a Roku Stick

Amazon watch party codes are alphanumerics, but the app insists on only providing the option to enter numbers.  Kind of expected a text keyboard and the roku remote has no such keyboard. Not sure how to get past this and join a watch party.  It seems to want at least 8 digits (the Amazon watch party host code is 7 alphanumerics).  Any ideas what the app is expecting or how to get past this to join a watch party via the roku Amazon app? 

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Joining an Amazon Watch Party on a Roku Stick

@dbdb 

That would indicate a glitch in the Prime Video app (which was developed by Amazon).

Check for updates by highlighting the app, using the Options button, and selecting Check For Updates.

If that doesn't resolve the issue, reboot the Roku device via the menu system.

If that doesn't resolve the issue:

1. Remove the app.
  2. Reboot the Roku device via the menu system.
  3. Reinstall the app.

All three steps, in that order.

If that doesn't resolve the issue, contact the developer (Amazon).

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

@dbdb-

The official Roku app on a mobile device (i.e. android or iOS cell phone or tablet) acts as an additional remote control.  It allows you to use the device's virtual keyboard.   I don't know if the Amazon app is coded to accept these characters, though.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
dbdb
Reel Rookie

I finally figured it out. The 8 digit numeric-only code is actually one generated by amazon apparently as a substitute for the seven digit alpha-numeric code displayed on the hosting device.  I only stumbled on it by accident and perseverance because it isn't offered as a choice unless you find it in a very particular way.

When I typed "https:\\watchparty.amazon\1x1x1x1" where 1x1x1x1 is the 7 digit alpha-numeric into a browser on my PC (tried both MS Edge and firefox), I was redirected to the Join Watch Party page as expected but no alternative code was offered.  (NOTE: you must leave off a trailing backslash as the code is a parameter)

HOWEVER,  when using a browser on my phone and the same address, I got an whole new section with a heading "Other ways to join"  that describes the following:

1. On your TV, open the Prime Video app.

2. Select My Stuff

3. Select Join a watch party and enter the Watch Party code.

12345678 <- the code you will need to enter the party through the the Roku Amazon app

I have no idea why this section isn't available through a browser on a PC and only through a browser on a phone.  Perhaps Amazon wants it to be difficult through Roku to support their competing Fire TV Stick.

0 Kudos