Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Henry5
Reel Rookie

Issue with HBO Max: two Rokus in two locations

Jump to solution

I have two homes with Roku devices in each, and I use them to access HBO Max which I get through my cable provider.  When I leave home 1 for the season, I cancel the cable TV there and turn it on at home 2. The Rokus at both locations are under the same Roku account login, and this has never been an issue with, say, Netflix, Prime, etc., which have single sign-on regardless of location. But when I tried to access HBO Max at home 2 through my cable TV provider there, the Roku pulls up Max as if I'm still at home 1 with the cancelled cable TV account. I tried removing HBO Max from my channels and then re-adding it, but that didn't help. So do I need to now register the Rokus at each location under separate Roku accounts? If so, how do I do that?

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Issue with HBO Max: two Rokus in two locations

Jump to solution

@Henry5 

Have you tried logging out of HBO Max? Since you aren't subscribed via Roku, and are authenticating against a cable provider (Cable 1), you should be able to log out of the app. Do that. Then log in with the new credentials (Cable 2).

Does that not work?

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

View solution in original post

Henry5
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Yes, I did a short while ago and it worked.  For some reason, when I tried to scroll previously, it wouldn't go any further than "Don't sell my personal information." 

Thanks to everyone for your help.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@Henry5

Thanks for the post.

We would recommend the following, specifically in this order:

1. log out of the HBO Max channel
  2. removing the channel from your Home screen
  3. restart the Roku device
  4. add the channel back to your device
  5. re-authenticate the channel with your credentials

Please keep us posted what you find out.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Henry5
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Danny,

That didn't work - after adding HBO Max back, it just signs me in automatically as if I was still at the other address.  It doesn't allow me to re-authenticate (and I can't do it on the computer either). What if I did this: create a separate Roku account (different email & password) for the devices at my second home, unlink the devices there from the original Roku account and link them to the new account.  Thoughts?

0 Kudos
AeroSpaceTech
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

This is not a Roku issue. It is within the HBO Max app itself. Open up the HBO Max channel. Select who ia watching. Scroll to the left side menu. Scroll down to settings. Scroll all the way over to the right and click on "sign out". This will allow you to add the correct email address.                                                                 

Hold on I re read your original post. Are you paying for HBO Max through your cable TV provider and through HBO itself? HBO does not care where you live. Why don't you just pay for HBO Max through HBO and not your cable TV provider? That would solve the issue. Roku does not care where you live either since it does not have location services. If you sign up for HBO Max directly through the HBO website everything will be fine. 

DBDukes

Jump to solution

@Henry5 

Are you subscribed to HBO Max through Roku Pay? Or did you sign up at the HBO Max Website and pay there? Or another way?

Where I'm going with this is what happens when you sign out of the app? But do share how you subscribed, because that may be the key piece of the puzzle.

DBDukes

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

Henry5
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I do get HBO Max through my cable provider.  It's part of a TV package (not an a la carte selection) so if I paid for HBO Max separately, I'd would wind up paying for it twice. What's happening is that HBO Max only recognizes the account at the home where I currently have my cable/internet/phone services on seasonal suspend.  I think my next step is to contact HBO Max directly (or my cable provider) to see if there's something that can be done.

I can access HBO programming via on Demand, but for some bizarre reason, when you're watching a series, suddenly an episode will disappear from the menu for a period of time.  I've had this happen a number of times over the last 3-4 years, and that's why I pivoted to HBO GO and now HBO Max.

0 Kudos
DBDukes

Jump to solution

@Henry5 

Have you tried logging out of HBO Max? Since you aren't subscribed via Roku, and are authenticating against a cable provider (Cable 1), you should be able to log out of the app. Do that. Then log in with the new credentials (Cable 2).

Does that not work?

DBDukes

Henry5
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Yes, I did a short while ago and it worked.  For some reason, when I tried to scroll previously, it wouldn't go any further than "Don't sell my personal information." 

Thanks to everyone for your help.

0 Kudos