Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
marvelmole
Reel Rookie

Internet not listed in drop down menu

I have tried to add Hallmark TV and History Channel. And they both have asked me about my internet provider. And when I open the drop down menu I do not find my internet Provider in the list therefor I can not add channel. I have talked to roku via chat and they said my internet provider has to get there company on the list by contacting Roku. I contacted the internet provider and they said it should not ask that because it is a privacy issue. My internet provider is Infinite Internet Corp. Someone please help me.

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
Strega
Roku Guru

Re: Internet not listed in drop down menu

Are your sure they're asking for an internet provider???  Channels like those usually want to know your TV provider.

makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

@marvelmole-

Good catch by @Strega -- I missed it.

Cable-type channels want to be paid. When you have a paid subscription to a "tv provider" service that carries these channels, the channels receive their pay out of the subscription fees you pay that provider. When you don't have a subscription to such a provider you are not paying for those channels.

Many cable-type channels (including Hallmark TV and History) make their content available for streaming on the internet via a "TV Everywhere" channel app for those paying for the channel through a provider as mentioned above.

Are you subscribed to a paid service that carries these two channels?  If not, you can subscribe to one of several premium subscription services that runs on Roku and carries your cable-type channels of interest.

There are several places on the net where you can look up which streaming providers carry a particular channel of interest. Here are several such pages:
     • https://thestreamable.com/channels
     • https://www.groundedreason.com/cord-cutting/tv-streaming/how-to-stream-by-channel/
     • https://suppose.tv/ (thanks to @DBDukes for this one)
     • .. there may be others.

Savings in cord cutting usually come from picking and choosing which of the offerings you wish to pay for instead of paying for full blown cable or satellite services with scores of channels you never watch.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
marvelmole
Reel Rookie

No they want to know who my internet provider is 

marvelmole
Reel Rookie

OK lets try this again maybe I'm not explaining it right. I go to my Roku and add channel fox news. Then I click on watch live and it wants my provider all I have is Roku and the internet. Can't justify $109.00 a month for Dish when I can use Roku much cheaper. Much cheaper !!  Also 99% of the list is internet providers. And why would I want to use Roku for a channel I would already get with Dish or any other TV provider. I'm wanting to as they say "cut the cord" That is the whole idea behind Roku. I thought ? So if I don't have a TV provider I can't watch some of the channels on Roku. 

0 Kudos
HDMIGuy
Roku Guru

@marvelmole  You are correct when stating "So if I don't have a TV provider I can't watch some of the channels on Roku."  For example if I wish to watch something on the ESPN app on my Roku or any other streaming device I must login with by provider.  The provider might be Spectrum Cable or YouTube TV or one of many other providers.  Why would I want to do that.  I could put a Spectrum Cable box on one TV and use a Roku device on several other TVs and only pay for one cable box.   A common misconception is that Roku provides free access to all streaming channels.  Roku does provide free access to many channels which are in the Roku channel but not many major channels like ESPN, Fox News, The Hallmark Channel, etc...

0 Kudos
Khurtsmom

I’m having the same problem they show many Internet services I’m familiar with but not Arbuckle Communications… very frustrating since I already paid $50 to get the history channel.

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

@Khurtsmom, you need a TV provider to access many channels/apps.  An Internet Service Provider and a TV provider are not the same thing.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos