Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bentlerpride
Channel Surfer

I purchased Paramount Plus to watch Yellowstone and now I can't. Why?

I was told I had to purchase Paramount Plus to watch the new season of Yellowstone.  I can watch seasons 1, 2 & 3 with no problem but season 4 does not appear.  I searched Roku for Yellowstone and now I find it on Paramount but after watching the 1st episode, the 2nd and 3rd are locked and it's asking me for my cable provider.  I don't have a cable provider.  Any suggestions on how to access the full season 4?

18 REPLIES 18
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: I purchased Paramount+ to watch Yellowstone and now I can't. Why?

@Bentlerpride 

Unfortunately, you need Paramount (with cable/cable alternative subscription), to watch same day or day-later "Yellowstone".  (current season 4)

You cannot watch the current season of Yellowstone with Paramount+ due to "licensing".  I know, unneccessarily confusing.

Here is an excerpt from TV Guide explaining this...(https://www.tvguide.com/news/yellowstone-season-4-how-to-watch-everything-to-know/)

Yellowstone returned for Season 4 on Sunday, Nov. 7, with back-to-back episodes on the Paramount Network. It was simulcast TV Land, CMT, POP TV, and their respective websites as long as you have a cable subscription. 

If you want to watch new episodes, Yellowstone continues Sundays at 9/8c on the Paramount Network. If you can't watch on Sunday night, episodes will be available the next day on the Paramount Network app, but will also require a cable login. Due to licensing rights, Yellowstone is not streaming on Paramount+.

The cable-alternative streaming services that contain Paramount are Philo, Hulu, Sling and others.  A list of these can be found here...

https://www.groundedreason.com/how-to-watch-paramount-network-online/

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
Bentlerpride
Channel Surfer

So now I'm out forty some dollars for a subscription to Paramount+ that does me no good.  I bought the Roku TV to get away from expensive cable providers.  Thanks for the information.

I'll be cancelling Paramount+ before it renews that's for sure.  

AvsGunnar

@Bentlerpride 

I was editing my reply to provide some cable-alternative services that contain Paramount when you replied.

I know my sister likes Hulu for Paramount since she watches Yellowstone also.  Just find the one that may suit you best with best number of channels for the price.

0 Kudos
Bentlerpride
Channel Surfer

Again, Thanks for the information.  I don't have Hulu or any of the sites you have to pay for as it is not in my budget.  We were splurging to get Paramount+ just to watch yellowstone.  We'll just have to wait until next year to see it.

0 Kudos
Strega
Roku Guru

Much of the reason that cable is expensive is that they are paying fees to content providers.  If you just stick with one or two content providers, you can keep streaming cheap, or even free, but if you try to replicate your cable lineup, then the costs may well be similar.

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

@Strega wrote:

"Much of the reason that cable is expensive is that they are paying fees to content providers."...

That is what they want you to believe.  I believe they are just greedy. Smiley Happy

Many of these networks now provide their own streaming channels/apps.  I really just don't understand this disparity between Paramount and Paramount+.  It doesn't really seem to benefit the viewer.  Really just paying for repeats and not new content in most cases.

0 Kudos
Strega
Roku Guru

Who are you referring to as they? It seems like "they" is the cable company (since that's who I was referring to) but then you switch to Paramount.  I agree that content providers like lots of money.  Paramount seems to be going down the same track as ESPN where you need to subscribe multiple ways to get everything.

Bentlerpride
Channel Surfer

Unfortunately, I was given bad advise to purchase Paramount+.  I've tried to get into it several times but have not missed my 5 day free trial so they go paid for nothing.

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

@Bentlerpride 

Re: budget, there is this article (https://collider.com/is-yellowstone-season-4-streaming-on-paramount-or-peacock-watch-episodes-live/) that mentions that you can buy the season of Season 4 for $20 from Amazon and then the episodes will be added as they appear Live.  Basically pre-paying.

I'm with you.. I don't have any of the paid services.  Plenty to watch elsewhere or I just wait until it streams free.

@Strega 

I was referring to greedy re: the cable companies.  The mention of Paramount and Paramount+ can probably also be included though in that they are not very clear about what is available on the different services.  They know people will assume the same content will be available on both services, but distributed in different methods (one via cable subscription, other via streaming subscription) since similary named Paramount.  Apparently, licensing agreements were already in place with cable providers before the creation of Paramount+ for Yellowstone, and rumor is Yellowstone will become available on Paramount+ when said agreements expire. (these dates are not known publicly though, so who knows who started rumor).  If the newer cable alternatives were able to acquire Yellowstone, don't really see how Paramount+ also couldn't.

Since streaming is really a new opportunity and new experience for many, you would think the streaming services (and especially those networks present on cable) would see it as an opportunity to do things completely differently and provide the user a different experience. (maybe some loyalty based on transparency and clear terms.)  They need to realize they no longer have a captive audience because included in a cable package.  People now free to come and go as they please when dissatified with service as evidenced by @Bentlerpride who rightfully was confused.  A brief search of other online forums will support fact that he was not the only one.

0 Kudos