Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Wilscot
Reel Rookie

I’m able to log into DIRECTTV using new ROKU 4+

Just installed new ROKU 4k+. I am a new user. I bought exclusively so I could stream my DIRECTTV from another TV. DIRECTTV streaming works from another TV with AppleTV on it and on my phone and iPad. When I try to log into it using ROKU the spinner just spins and spins. Have to hit home button to get out. I have tried unplugging and replugging unit after 10 sec. Not sure what else to do, else this will get returned…

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: I’m able to log into DIRECTTV using new ROKU 4+

@Wilscot 

Do you have DirecTV (the satellite service)? Or do you have DirecTV Stream (the streaming service)?

According to the DirecTV Website, DirecTV app is only available in the Apple App Store and Google Play Store. And, while the Website only mentions iOS devices, the link to the app indicates it is supported on tvOS (Apple TV).

DirecTV Stream app is available on multiple platforms, including Roku, Apple TV, Fire TV, Google/Android TV.

To my understanding (and it may be incorrect) a DirecTV account cannot be used to access DirecTV Stream, but can be used within a DirecTV app (not DirecTV Stream app) to watch online. Essentially, to my understanding, DirecTV and DirecTV Stream accounts are not interchangeable.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

Wilscot
Reel Rookie

Re: I’m UNable to log into DIRECTTV using new ROKU 4+

I have Direct TV satellite service which includes streaming. The new ROKU stick allows the selection of Direct TV to be downloaded to stream. As I said above- I already stream DirectTV on my phone, my iPad and my old AppleTV device. I have unplugged and plugged the ROKU unit and I have deleted the DirectTV app and redownloaded. It almost acts like the app is not up to date…..

0 Kudos
Vakko
Roku Guru

Re: I’m UNable to log into DIRECTTV using new ROKU 4+

@Wilscot I use to use DirecTV Stream. I believe you are a little confused or misinformed. DirecTV and DirecTV Stream are entirely different from each other. There is no DirecTV channel for Roku. Only DirecTV Stream. If you currently are using DirecTV that does not give you DirecTV Stream for free. You may want to look into switching from DirecTV to DirecTV Stream. Your DirecTV subscription does allow you to log into certain channels using your DirecTV credentials. Meaning if you download CBS onto your Roku you can log into the CBS channel with your DirecTV credentials. But you cannot log into DirecTV Stream with your DirecTV credentials.

Hope this helps

Vakko
Roku Guru

Re: I’m able to log into DIRECTTV using new ROKU 4+

@Wilscot  Any update? Hopefully you understand a little bit better now.