Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BenP47630
Reel Rookie

I get Playback Error on all my Apps

MY Roku was working fine today until about 7:30 AM, then it rebooted, and after that I could get into all the apps (Netflix, Hulu, Paramount+, HBO, Youtub TV, etc.) and navigate in them but when I try to watch any shows I get a playback error.  I noticed there was an update installed on my Roku today.
I have tried disconnecting  and connecting to my WIFI, I connect at 2.4, My Roku is about 15 ft from the wireless router and shows and excellent connection.
I appreciate any help getting this resolved.  For a retired person. it's becoming a boring day. 🙂
Thanks
Ben 

0 Kudos
11 REPLIES 11
JoeW22
Reel Rookie

Re: Channels Not Working on Roku device

Every channel on my current  Roku Express stopped streaming content. The applications come up but once i click on any content to watch the screen is delayed and only audio plays.  then the video will start or the downloading circle is spinning. an error pops up that the content can not be viewed at this time.  On Netflix and Disney+ a DRM error message comes up.  I thought my Roku Express went bad so i bought a new one.  Once that was installed and the updates were applied i again had the same exact messages.  I reset the router even though all other streaming devices in the home work perfectly fine. IE; Samsung Smart TV, Xbox Series X Console and an Amazon Fire Stick. Not to mention my phone. They all are fine.  I even hooked up a new HDMi cable.  Still didnt work.  Deleted the channels and reinstalled them.  Still didnt work.   I read that there are many other people experiencing this issue to no avail.  

atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: I get Playback Error on all my Apps

Have you completely power cycled your Roku, as in removed power completely then plugged it back in? Since you could enter a channel and move around, that implies there's no networking issue. You can't load a channel that requires Internet access if there's no access. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
BBScout
Channel Surfer

Roku apps are not working on any of my four devices.  I have unplugged and rebooted. I have checked the internet.  No Go!!!

Roku FIX YOUR PROBLEM! This is not a user error by a system wide issue.  FIX IT!!!

BenP47630
Reel Rookie

Yes I have completely power cycled the Roku twice, there is internet connection, for example when I go to Paramount + I get logged in, I can see all the shows, I can see all the episodes listed, it even shows the preview of the show but when I try to play any of the episodes on any show I get a play back error.  It does the same thing on Hulu, Netflix, Youtube TV, etc.
Everything was working fine until this morning, I was watching news on Youtube TV, my Roku rebooted and after that I was not able to watch any shows.

I checked my Roku had an update installed today 1-13-2023, I wonder if there is a problem with the update.   If this is an update problem, I appreciate if Roku fixes it.

Thanks

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Hi Community users,

Thanks for the posts.

We would be more than happy to look further into the issue but will need more details. Can you please provide us the following information:

• Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
  • does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found be selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
  • tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times and provide us with this ID)
  • steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing 

Once we have this information, we will be able to investigate further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
atc98092

@BBScout wrote:

Roku FIX YOUR PROBLEM! This is not a user error by a system wide issue.  FIX IT!!!

There is no "system" to fix. Every channel connects to a different provider. There is no Roku "system". The only way Roku would be the issue is if you're having a network connection problem. 

A network issue might certainly be your issue, even if other devices are connected to your network and working correctly. Does your Roku indicate any network connection issues? Have you run a network connection test?

Dan

0 Kudos
BenP47630
Reel Rookie

Dan

There is no network issue, I have tested the network, reconnected to the network.  all applications such as Netflix, Hulu, Disney, YouTube TV, Roku Channel, etc.  they all get connected, logged in, even play previews, but none will actually lets you play any of the shows or shows episodes. 

So, you are saying, all these providers magically started having problem on their own all at he same time, but it all happened after a new Roku update was installed.

Okay!!!!

JoeW22
Reel Rookie

Amen brother!!

0 Kudos
atc98092

Yes, it's still tough to blame Roku. There hasn't been an OS update on any of my devices since November. But perhaps you received something I'm unaware of. Remember that many of those online streaming providers all use the same companies as their media servers. In most cases, they all either use Amazon Web Services or the Microsoft equivalent. I don't know what they call theirs now. So if the media hosting provider is having issues, yes it could be impacting more than one streaming provider. It's unlikely, but I can't say it would be impossible.

Remember the FAA computer system that failed earlier this week? I assure you the FAA has fall-over fail-safe plans for that system. Everything we use has at minimum one backup. I know this system has at least two complete systems located a 1000 miles apart. But the entire NOTAM system still failed despite the fail-safes.  

Dan

0 Kudos