Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Chris-K
Streaming Star

I can smell porky pies?? Who is lying

I can smell porky pies???

When asked why Roku doesn't return many search results, Roku say they can't search data without permission from providers (and so a Roku search can't find majority of streams)

We are also lead to beleive that providers have to provide the app that works with Roku devices. Rather than the blindingly obvious solution of Roku making their devices work with existing TV apps. So a lot of streaming apps are not supported. Hence we have no CBS Reality catch up.

The BBC would not provide a BBC iPlayer app specifically for Roku and then deny them access to BBC programming.

So who is lying?

0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
Strega
Roku Guru

Re: I can smell porky pies?? Who is lying

I'm not sure if I understand your question, but Roku OS, android, and various other TV systems are all different, so different apps are written for each OS.  (Though certain parts of apps may use shared code if the content provider writes them that way.)

The app has to know how to display video, interact with the remote, make network connections etc. on each OS.  In addition, if the OS supplies some kind of search, an app has to know how to provide searchable data to the OS.  Here is a list of (some?) apps that support searching on Roku.  (Last update was over half a year ago though.)

https://support.roku.com/article/235044948#!

And here is something about setting up search:

https://partnersuccess.roku.com/hc/en-us/articles/360010967913-What-is-the-process-for-setting-up-Ro...

0 Kudos
Chris-K
Streaming Star

I'm not sure if I understand your question

I'm not talking about phone apps so I've tried to clarify my question

0 Kudos
Strega
Roku Guru

I didn't assume that you were talking about anything involving phones.  (My mention of Android was in reference to Android TV, one of the many other streaming platforms.)  So hopefully my answer still makes sense.

0 Kudos
Chris-K
Streaming Star

I didn't assume that you were talking about anything involving phones.  (My mention of Android was in reference to Android TV

That's academic, Roku doesn't use any of the standard TV app OS. It seem to rely on providers writing a custom so for roku, which is why I noticed immediately it's so poorly supported, meaning loads Android TV apps are not available for roku

0 Kudos
Strega
Roku Guru

Roku was shipping players years before Android TV existed. As far as I know, in the US, Roku has (by a wide margin) the most people using its streaming OS.  In other parts of the world, Tizen, and WebOS are dominant.  FireOS, and Playstation are also significant worldwide players and AndroidTV is popular in Europe.

I’m still not sure I understand your original question about lying and search results though.  Streaming is a somewhat more complicated world than the days of analog TV.  However, availability of TV programs is much higher than ever.  Even back in the golden age of TV, we had to deal with PAL vs SECAM vs NTSC, recorded onto multiple tape and disc formats.  Fortunately, all the hardware these days is incredibly cheap, so if ~50 times as much TV as you could ever watch is not enough, you can pick up a few more streaming players and make it at least 70 times.  Each streaming player costs less that what a single movie on a Laserdisc used to cost.

0 Kudos
Chris-K
Streaming Star

You do seem to be struggling to understand my opening post for whether reason. It's pretty plain English but some people won't hear what they don't want to hear.

The BBC will not provide a player for Roku and not give them access to the data, that's an irefutable fact.

0 Kudos
Strega
Roku Guru

I believe your “irefutable fact” is actually your assertion.  I see a huge variation in app functionality, quality, and design on Roku.  I see no evidence that this variation is due to anything nefarious.  And the list I provided you earlier shows that many content other providers do indeed omit a search feed, so I don’t see why the BBC couldn’t possibly as well.

0 Kudos
Chris-K
Streaming Star

I believe your “irefutable fact” is actually your assertion

So you are suggesting that BBC support a roku app but deny then access to data. Bizarre. 

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

It's not necessarily that they're denying them access.  They may just not be interested in creating the data Roku requires.  Roku doesn't do the work for the search; they require each provider to do it and submit some kind of file or link to everything formatted properly, etc.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos