Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku Not Enough Space with YouTube and Apple TV Not Launching

Jump to solution

@JimmyGee if the channel developers are the cause of the problem due to poor programming, you might run into the same issue on different platforms. One great example is HBO Max. It works terrible on my Nvidia Shield players, but seems to work fine on my Roku devices. But some Roku users have issues with Max as well.

It comes down to the developers doing their job right. And with YouTube you have a developer that also just happens to manufacture a competing player, so they might not feel the need to work that hard on their apps on other devices. I'm not saying Google is doing it intentionally, but it's certainly a possibility. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
JimmyGee
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

It is immaterial that the problem may be happening on other platforms:  This is a Roku forum, we are Roku customers and the problem is happening on Roku devices.  Stop with the constant deflection. There should be a certain responsibility on Roku’s part to make sure apps are tested and perform properly as well.  We bought our devices based on Roku’s claims we could watch certain content.  Regardless of who evers fault it is, it is making people think of going to other platforms.

0 Kudos
John1958
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

This is an issue 200% on roku and not on app developers. I am getting tired of the constant speculative messages popping up in my inbox, that truly have no genuine worth with regards to the issue. I have to say that the Chromecast with Google TV is looking like the clear leading contender to replace all my roku devices as, one by one they die!

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

No, Roku is not responsible for ensuring channels are tested for functionality. They are evaluated for meeting certain programming criteria, but when it comes to user functionality, it's solely on the developers.

I use YouTube (since it's in the subject line of this thread) on an almost daily basis on both the Shield and Roku players. I have no issues with it on either device. I realize that some users have problems. But when the problem is not widespread it is extremely difficult to troubleshoot. I can't say why some users have issues, but it's something that I have not experienced. 

Dan

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

A given app on a particular platform cannot be compared with the same app on a different platform. They are written in a different programming language, usually on completely different hardware.

It doesn't matter how well the YouTube app works on a Chromecast, Smart TV, XBox, or anything else. It's not the same app, regardless if it looks and works identically to the same app on a Roku. 

Dan

0 Kudos
John1958
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

So are you implying that an app written to work on roku is specific to each device then? The app for the ultra is different for the app for the 3800, the 3700 or the express and so on, then? If not then your point is flawed as the apps in question in this thread work on some roku devices and not on others...a random roku device failure.

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

No, my comment is referencing different platforms, not different devices within a specific platform. That said, I have no idea if it's necessary to "tweak" a channel for Roku devices with different model numbers. Since there's been significant hardware changes in Roku devices over the years, it is certainly possible that a channel might need something different programically for older vs. newer devices. But I would expect any changes for Roku devices of similar vintage. 

Dan

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

We have no idea if it's a developer issue or Roku. You're making suppositions that are not supported. Unfortunately, Roku will not discuss internal technical issues publicly, so they leave us all guessing in the wind. If it were internal, it would be great if they would acknowledge it. And if they can confirm it's channel-specific, that would be great to know as well. But we'll never get that kind of info from them. 

Dan

0 Kudos
John1958
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Exactly, however my "suppositions" are based on years of experience and knowledge with the use of streaming A/V. I have also dealt with their brightsign products over the years, so am in fact, very familiar with how this company operates.

I have stated helpful facts in my earlier posts before responding to your speculations and non helpful posts. My posts specifically point to solutions that worked on various roku devices for various people and various apps.

StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@John1958 wrote:

I totally disagree, the questioned apps work perfectly well on other devices. They  even within the roku devices range...until they don't. And I am positive that while you have never had an issue yet it is a matter of time is all.

You can disagree, but you're disagreeing with the facts - Google codes the YT/YTTV apps on all platforms, including Roku.

Its a common misconception that because an app looks the same or nearly the same on different devices, that the app is the same - it isnt.

Platform (OS) differences easily and obviously account for behavioral differences in the YT/YTTV apps on each platform, even when using the same SoC hardware (which is rare).

Even subplatforms within the same platform have differences: e.g. different Roku models have different hardware SoCs (say the 4800 vs the 4670 vs the 2710) with differing capabilities, such that Google (and NetFlix for that matter) often has model-specific YT/YTTV versions+builds:

4800: YTTV=2.21.94005560 YT=2.21.94005076

4670: YTTV=2.20.93005573 YT=2.20.93005144

2710: YTTV=N/A                      YT=2.0.93900086

Android TV: YTTV=1.11.02      YT=2.13.08

Notice the different versions+builds for each model (and compared to the Android TV platform versions).

Google has a (internal) UI layer for the YT/YTTV apps that it imposes on all platforms (many services do this, FYI), but there are always slight/subtle (or occasionally obvious) differences due to differing hardware/software capabilities of each platform (or subplatform for that matter).

All models YT UI layer version: web_20210713_10_RC00

All models YTTV UI layer version: web_20210714_13_RC00T

Notice that while the UI layer version is the same for all models, the platform layer version is different for different models.

So while the YT/YTYV apps look the same "on top" for all Roku models, underneath they are in fact different.

So even on the same platform, the app may be different.

Now imagine the platform level differences for the YT/YTTV apps on different platforms - e.g. Roku versus Android TV (Shield/GCCWGTV/ONN4K/TS4K).

Again, they look the same "on top" (same UI version), but underneath they have a completely different codebase and versions (see above).

Directing your frustration with the YT/YTTV apps at Roku is "shooting at the wrong target" - Google is solely responsible for their coding and development, so you need to "shoot at Google".