Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Broncsmama23
Reel Rookie

How to fix black screen and no sound on live tv.

I was watching live tv just fine on my roku express the other day and when I changed a channel, the screen went black and no sound. I went back to the previous channel and it still did the same thing. I am able to see the guide and am able to to click on the channels but nothing shows up. I can see the banner and the channel number that I choose but that’s it. I tried random channels, none work. I have factory reset the roku twice. I have manually updated the device as well. I don’t know what to do. Does anyone have any advice? Support isn’t available for it. Everything I have read says to update or factory reset and neither are working. All connections are fine as I can still see the guide and use other apps like Netflix. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: How to fix black screen and no sound on live tv.

@Broncsmama23 

If you are currently powering your Roku device via the TV USB power port, try plugging directly into wall power.  If your device did not come with a wall power adapter, try using a cell phone charging adapter (5volt, 1 amp).

If changing to wall power does not help issue, try rebooting all your network equipment (modem, router, and extenders, etc).

Feel free to post update or if you need more help.  Include Roku model number from Settings/System/About.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
Broncsmama23
Reel Rookie

Hello.

I had a roku plug. I have restarted everything including my internet. I can see the guide and the channel chosen with a black screen and no sound. I’ve unplugged everything, even switched hdmi ports. I don’t know what else to do

0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Lots of similar complaints, no universal solutions posted so far that I've seen.

I don't have the problem so I'm just grasping at straws here. I don't know if these will actually help but they're easy to try and back out of if necessary.  Some things to try:

• Set your Display type setting (Settings > Display type) to your tv's actual resolution, not "Auto detect". When you change the Display type to a new setting it runs you through several screens:
    • A screen where you can choose from the available options on that device.
    • A screen where it analyzes your choice to be sure your tv supports it, then gives the option of trying that choice if you wish.
    • A screen with a countdown timer and two choices:
          Yes, screen looks good
          No, I will choose a different setting
      The "No" option is highlighted by default. To keep the screen resolution you're currently trying, you need to arrow up to the "Yes" option and click on it before the timer runs out.

• Turn off Auto-adjust display refresh rate, if your Roku has this setting (I suspect this may only be present on non-4K Rokus).  If present, it will be found via Settings > System > Advanced system Settings > Advanced display settings.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos