Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AStarr
Streaming Star

Re: Discovery plus app keeps pausing

Jump to solution

Repeatedly - can’t even make it thru 1 show- 2 1/2 hrs later haven’t even seen one episode. Tried 3 different shows total, 2 nights, several hours 😞 Free trial version

jtodd76
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I've been having the same problem on all Roku devices at home and at my office. Using Roku ultra boxes. Not sure if this matters, but I was watching Discovery Plus in the middle of the night and the problem was far less frequent. Perhaps fewer viewers? Right around 8 am central time, the problem started again. Anyone possibly think it's a bandwidth problem with Discovery Plus since it was just released? Just a thought and hoping they work it out. Hard to believe it's not more widespread. 

Windeecity
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I don't think it's a bandwidth problem. The pauses are consecutively 5 minutes apart, like a fast forward for about 3 seconds along with sometimes getting booted to a black screen after an episode ends.

When I downloaded the app the first thing  I watched was a Discovery + original Magnolia Table. These pauses or getting kicked out did not appear. 

jtodd76
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I'm having a different experience. It happens randomly at home and office but when it does, it pauses for about 3 seconds and skips ahead in the show a few seconds as well. I don't see a pattern, but noticed around 3 am, I don't recall it happening one time until closer to 8 am. Probably just a coincidence but thought I'd see what everyone thought.

DizzyOG
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I have 2 different Ultra models. My 4670 (2019 model) pauses for 3-5 seconds then restarts skipping that time frame. This happens every 10-15 mins or so. My 4800 (2020 model) just skips 3-4 times during a 1 hr show. You can notice because during dialog the sentence won't make sense. Then I have to rewind, start it again and sometimes there are up to 8 seconds or so that it missed. It happens on both Rokus on every show on Discovery+. No other apps/channels have any issues at all. I've done all the normal troubleshooting steps. Internet connection is 200+ mbps and good. It's definitely the Discovery+ app/channel. I hope they get it fixed because I want to keep my subscription, but will cancel if it's not fixed in the very near future. 

AStarr
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

I was watching starting around 12 am EST, until I gave up around 3 am, each time. It was ok the first time, until I hit pause & reversed it a little. Maybe a coincidence, & that was about 10 min in. After that I couldn’t get 10 min straight without it skipping backwards.  A friend has the paid version, commercial-free, & she’s only had a few problems. She mentioned bandwidth also... I have a Roku stick. I don’t have problems with other channels... 

JaiRamen
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I have a roku tv and after every episode the discovery + app crashes and often makes me restart the tv. Even if it doesn’t I end up at the Home Screen. Must navigate to the app, open it, wait for it to load, then play what’s next. 

it is truly the worst roku app I have experienced. ESP(!!) for a premium channel!! $$$

dadatone

Jump to solution

I've been chatting with Discovery about the same issue. Again, they say it's a known problem and are working on it. 

Originally, when I signed up for the service I chose the ad version. Personally, a 60-second ad every 20 minutes doesn't bother me. But, yesterday, I changed the service to ad-free. Last night, the problem went away. I was a bit upset, to say the least.

I emailed back the technical support staff and told them what I had discovered (no pun intended). I made it very clear that if multiple services are offered, the software should work for either one. And, that the fix should not be paying more to rectify an issue with the software that should have worked at launch.

DizzyOG
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

That's interesting. I have the no ads version, and I've had the problem since the beginning. I've never had the ads included subscription. Hopefully they'll get it taken care of quickly. It's frustrating. Every day, every single show- it does it multiple times. Anyway, I'm glad it has worked out for you. 

TurtleyT
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Same problem with mine on both Roku devices.  I have the paid version, ad-free. It's really aggravating. I don't mind the pause as much as the fact that when it unpauses, dialogue is missing. Most of the time I can fill in the blanks, so to speak, but other times it makes no sense. Important dialogue gets "deleted"! If not fixed soon, I'll cancel my subscription.