Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tomhannen

How to display subtitles in BBC iPlayer app?

Jump to solution

I have just purchased a Roku Stick+ in the UK.

I checked the amazon reviews first, and several said that subtitles worked correctly in iPlayer.

This is my only reason for purchase. I have an Apple TV for everything else, but the subtitles do not work correctly on the BBC's Apple TV app.

I cannot get subs to appear on my Roku stick.  They work in Netflix, Prime, etc.

Am I doing something wrong?

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: How to display subtitles in BBC iPlayer app?

Jump to solution

The default means of accessing closed caption controls on Roku is to press the * key on the Roku remote while viewing a programme.  The actual control displays may vary from channel to channel.

Some channels do not use the default Roku control scheme, however, and insert their own.  I have no access to BBC iPlayer, but one common scheme is to press the up or down cursor control keys to pop up the channel's control options.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X

View solution in original post

MilesT
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

The iPlayer app puts subtitle selection and other controls in an  unusual place for a Roku app.  I think the BBC decided to make their app as similar as possible across many platforms (Smart TVs, Youview, Netgem, etc.)

When the programme is playing, press up arrow twice, you will see some icons at top left of screen, use arrows to select the "text bubble", press OK, and you will get options to turn on & configure subtitles (colour, font, size, language if alternative available).

Not a Roku employee

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

The default means of accessing closed caption controls on Roku is to press the * key on the Roku remote while viewing a programme.  The actual control displays may vary from channel to channel.

Some channels do not use the default Roku control scheme, however, and insert their own.  I have no access to BBC iPlayer, but one common scheme is to press the up or down cursor control keys to pop up the channel's control options.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
MilesT
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

The iPlayer app puts subtitle selection and other controls in an  unusual place for a Roku app.  I think the BBC decided to make their app as similar as possible across many platforms (Smart TVs, Youview, Netgem, etc.)

When the programme is playing, press up arrow twice, you will see some icons at top left of screen, use arrows to select the "text bubble", press OK, and you will get options to turn on & configure subtitles (colour, font, size, language if alternative available).

Not a Roku employee
gpfh

Jump to solution

Solved my problem!

0 Kudos