Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AsifS
Channel Surfer

Re: Home Screen Ads Too Scary For Kids

Yes can someone from Roku help with this?  I understand ads in your preferred channels you have added when you access them.  The channels will be appropriate to those that can access it.  News channels to adults and children's content on Disney etc.  But the home screen carries ads like sexual content, women in bikinis with sexual implied situations in a poster, or like the original poster of this thread said, some blood lust implied horror or violence, the whole family should NOT be default exposed to stuff like that flashed on half the screen when you are trying to access your kids streaming channels.  That's just wrong and inappropriate to force that on everyone.  Roku needs to do something about allowing users to turn that off

tjkrings
Channel Surfer

Roku Support - please respond to this string. 

MatthewOlds
Reel Rookie

The ads continue to pop up...and the kids continue to be scared of them. I even try and click on benign Disney+ ads...trying to show that I’m only interested in family content, but it doesn’t seem to help.

It continues to appear that Roku is uninterested in helping.  

AsifS
Channel Surfer

I raised this with their tech support and they kept telling me they don't determine the ads and that I have to contact the advertiser??!! How absurd... Basically, we really don't care, go away, let me give you some total nonsense reply and who knows, you might be naive enough to actually try that.  Anyhow my response was that that was absurd and totally unacceptable.  Finally after just repeated the same response to me like a parrot from different support staff and noticing that I don't seem to agree that this resolves even nil, a "manager" responded saying that they have sent my issue to the "appropriate" department..  So I understand that now they are saying they sent it to a total black hole and I should not expect anything done about it.  Someone needs to have Wired magazine or CNet pick up on this nonsense to see just how little Roku cares.  I think that's worthwhile for everyone to know when deciding about their next investment in a smartmedia user interface, and for manufacturers as well.

qnetso

Sad that this has been an issue for over a year with no remedy provided by roku.  I suggest adding a pi hole to your network and block ALL the roku ads 🙂 Pi-hole – Network-wide protection (pi-hole.net)

Darthflec
Reel Rookie

With the increased amount of TV time this year (I try to keep it a minimum, and mostly PBS kids, but still... we’re definitely watching more TV now) I’ve finally given up and got the Google Chromecast TV when it was on sale with the Netflix promo (came out to like $15 or something what with the Netflix prepaid for half the year or whatnot). I was also only using an older Roku Express so it was easier to abandon it and jump to a new streaming device. I’ve got complete control of the adds my kids see on my tv now. 

m19
Reel Rookie

Sign me up as another parent who absolutely needs more control over the home-screen ads, for ALL the reasons already listed in this thread. I honestly don't care if there's ads: just at least let me make them kid-friendly vs. wondering if TWD or something about serial killers is going to pop up!!

RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @m19,

Thanks for the note here.

While we can't please everyone with the ads that are displayed, we do strive to avoid offensive images and other things that Roku users might not agree with. I'll forward your comments to our advertising department for review.

Thanks for your patience regarding this issue.

Mary

0 Kudos
m19
Reel Rookie

It really has nothing to do with "pleasing everyone": just introduce a setting that limits what's shown in the sidebar there to be kid-friendly or not. You still get your ad revenue, and I don't have to worry every time the family pulls up the main Roku menu because what's shown there is completely out of my control. Kinda seems like it'd be a no-brainer.

Darthflec
Reel Rookie

100% this 👆

Simply have a “kids” or “family” setting so that the adds we see are targeted to a kids/family demographic. In 2021 targeted adds is the name of the game.

Not only will I not have to worry about my kids seeing an add for some bloody horror movie, but the adds I see will actually be *more relevant* to me, which is exactly what *your* advertisers want. Literally a win win. 

Please get it together and provide an update with this functionality Roku.