Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
phases
Channel Surfer

Re: Home Screen Ads Too Scary For Kids

I added to the complaints on this thread sometime last year. After a couple of months it resolved itself. I didn't do anything special.. but the shudder and other scary ads just .. stopped. I stopped noticing them and don't think about anymore unless I get email notifications due to replies on here. I just asked my little guy and he said he hasn't seen any in a long time. So... knock on wood... hopefully we are good to go. Just thought I would update..

0 Kudos
Yalda_Bahuth
Channel Surfer

My kids turned on the tv this morning to the original Steven kings “IT” the clown movie posters and got freaked out.  I tried the network block but no luck.  Reset ad content got it to go away for now.

just doesn’t make sense to me that they obviously know about the issue and can’t program a simple age limit ad content option for parents.

Yalda_Bahuth
Channel Surfer

Wow not even 48 hours and already back.  I am about to be done with Roku.  How can they think any children want to see this

A24011D3-1443-4886-883F-8B762DE41645.jpeg

0 Kudos
OwnerofDevices
Roku Guru

I have 3 kids and I also have 3 Roku TVs and not a single kid has ever been afraid of the ads on my TV's. Perhaps, you might be better off with an Android TV, Fire TV, or a Samsung TV. 

0 Kudos
Yalda_Bahuth
Channel Surfer

Thanks for your worthless response troll bag.  

OwnerofDevices
Roku Guru

You can also put a streaming device other than a Roku in your TV too if you have an open HDMI port too on your Roku TV. I am just giving you options. 

0 Kudos
Sgharrison1
Reel Rookie

This IT ad is traumatizing my toddlers everyday! I cannot understand why it is 2022 and they still have not fixed this setting!!! Roku support please respond!

Ello2022
Roku Guru

@Yalda_Bahuth  Life is scary. You walk out your door it’s scary. You turn on the news and see murders, accidents, school shootings. Horror movie previews are aired on live national television. Unless you blindfolded your children there is no way of preventing them from the scary world around us. All I see is a cartoon clown with teeth. I see worse on my local news when I see bombing of Ukraine. Tubi advertised to promote there service on Roku’s home page. it’s how they get subscribers. 

FYI …I raised 4 kids myself. What do you do during Halloween when everybody’s wearing a scary mask? Not let your kids go out trick-or-treating?

0 Kudos
Sgharrison1
Reel Rookie

Um, my kids are 3 and 1 so no, I do not watch news about bombings with them or take them around horror costumes on Halloween. At that age you can't just tell kids "life is scary, get over it," LOL. That's what parental control settings are for, and to have them in this context would be both good for me/my kids and for ad revenue given that ads would be more relevant. 

Ello2022
Roku Guru

@Sgharrison1  so I guess your kids never leave the house and our homeschooled. No matter where you go in this world you will see something scary. There is no avoiding it. What would you do if somebody showed up at your door trick-or-treating with a scary Halloween mask and your children saw it? Would you yell at the person for showing up at your door with a scary mask?

0 Kudos