Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CinPhilay
Reel Rookie

Help me to help my 93-year-old friend!

Hello, my 93 year-old friend wanted to cut off her cable, and since I hate the cable companies, I agreed to help. This whole process has been frustrating to say the least; she does not understand that for instance, her Roku account is different from her Hulu account. She is an avid sports fan and watches the games via Hulu plus. Long story short, she called Hulu about a billing issue and they reset her account because she couldn't remember it. I then had to go through the long process of resetting her account through Hulu. But now she has to log back into Hulu via her Roku, and she has a very difficult time pushing the Roku buttons on the remote. At 93 years old, she does not have much control over her fingers. I have her passwords to her Roku and Hulu accounts. I tried to go into her Roku account to re-log into her Hulu account (so that she could bypass doing so on the remote), however could not find where to do so. I also don't see where there is any live customer support, so after several hours on the phone with her, we are no closer to a solution. Please tell me there is live customer support or somewhere I can plug in her Hulu password for her? (The upside is that now she knows how to Facetime.)

Bonus question: Will I get into heaven for all of this? 😉

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Help me to help my 93-year-old friend!

@CinPhilay 

First, recovering a password shouldn't be difficult. I'm seeing two accounts in play: Roku and Hulu.

Each can have the same email address or different email addresses. If you know the email address each uses (whether the same or different) it's a simple matter to recover the password.

For Hulu, you go to the Hulu Website and click "Forgot email or password?" Enter the email address and you'll get instructions on how to reset the password.

For Roku, you click "Forgot password" and provide your email address. Same process, essentially.

On the Hulu app for Roku, you log in via the button that says "Log in."

roku1.png

You can then enter the credentials on the Roku, or use the "Activate on a computer" button to log in via a computer.

hulu1.png

Then, follow the instructions on the screen.

hulu2.png

Once you're logged in, stay logged in.

When done watching Hulu, don't log out. Just hit the HOME button on the Roku and you're good.

Where are you running into difficulty?

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

Strega
Roku Guru

Well, she's doing better than my parents.  Honestly, I think cable TV is just fine for people of that age.  Even people of my age are split on whether they can (or want to) handle this wild and crazy streaming stuff. 

Make sure if you use the login on a computer option, that you type the link carefully and precisely.  People get scammed all the time by going to a "similar" site which tells them to call technical support at: [phone number of some scammer].

CinPhilay
Reel Rookie

Haha I know, this has created so much confusion that I have been trying to convince her to switch back to cable... with no success!

0 Kudos
CinPhilay
Reel Rookie

Hi, thank you for your reply. The issue here is that I am not in the same location as her, so I haven't been able to carry out the Hulu login on the Roku device. I was hoping to be able to log into her Roku account on the back end on my PC, then log into Hulu, so that she wouldn't have to try and do it with the remote; with so many characters in her email address and PW, plus no familiarity with how these things work, it's very challenging for her.

Thanks again!

0 Kudos
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

@CinPhilay 

Can she read to you what is on the screen? Do do not need to be present to use the computer login, you just need the 7-character code. You can be at your location, log in to her Hulu account (you won't need to log in to her Roku account), and get her to click the "Log in" button, then the "Activate on computer" button, then read the seven characters to you. You type it in, and her screen updates. You don't have to be on the same network, but you'll need that code.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."