Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Psilobite
Roku Guru

HISTORY and Lifetime channel update issues, removed and can't add them back

Jump to solution

Today when I checked for updates manually, I received updates to several channels which all went fine, except for the HISTORY channel and the Lifetime channel.

When I checked for updates manually again later, I received updates again for these two channels. I checked again, and again, I got updates. I found that these two channels are updated every time I check.

I then tried to remove and re-add the channels. Removing them appeared to go successfully. Re-adding the channels back by searching "Streaming Channels" for them did not work; I received the message "Channel install failed / Could not add 'Lifetime'" and "Channel install failed / Could not add 'HISTORY'".

I ran a system update, it found no updates, and it had no effect on the issue.

My device has an microSD cart slot, and it has a Sandisk Extreme 32 GB card inserted. I tried taking this card out and it had no effect on the above.

I reformatted the card on a PC, then inserted it back into the Roku. It prompted to format the card, went from 0% to 100%, and it completed successfully.

Then, something strange happened. When the format was over and I clicked OK, I got a prompt, "Adding HISTORY...", then "Adding Lifetime...". However, these channels do not appear in the guide. If I go to the "Streaming Channels" and search for these two channels, it gives me "Add channel" instead of "Go to channel", which seems to indicate that the system does not think the channels are installed. If I try to add them, I get the same messages as above, "Channel install failed / Could not add 'Lifetime'" and "Channel install failed / Could not add 'HISTORY'".

If I now run a manual Software update, I get "Adding HISTORY..." and "Adding Lifetime...", every single time. They do not appear in the guide, and I cannot add them from Streaming Channels; they give me the "Channel install failed" error.

I have no idea how to proceed. Have I just permanently lost access to these two channels on my device?

I'm worried that this is going to happen to more channels, especially considering what has happened this week.

-Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version
Device Model: 4660X - Roku Ultra
Serial Number: YJ00A4777475
Device ID: CK386A777475
Software OS/Version: 11.5.0 Build 4216-46
32 GB microSD card inserted

-Does this issue occur on a specific channel? If so, what channel and what version/build is the channel
Yes, the issue occurs on two specific channels, History and Lifetime. Unfortunately, I removed them and tried to re-add them, and have not been able to get them to re-appear in my list of installed channels, so I am unable to report on specific builds.

-Tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times and provide us with this ID)
75-460-867

-Steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing
As described above, I had a pretty esoteric thing happen. On a device with the HISTORY Channel and the Lifetime Channel installed, try running a manual update, then run another one. Do you see the issue of the channels getting updated every time? Try removing them and re-adding them. Can you do so? On a device without the HISTORY Channel or the Lifetime Channel installed, can you install them, or do you get the "Channel install failed" message?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Psilobite
Roku Guru

Re: HISTORY and Lifetime channel update issues, removed and can't add them back

Jump to solution

I just ran another manual system update, and this time it added HISTORY and Lifetime back successfully.

It shows up as installed ("Go to channel") in Streaming Channels, they show up in the installed channels list, and both channels launch successfully.

Perhaps someone saw this thread?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
Psilobite
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Some additional info:

- When running the manual update and it says "Adding HISTORY..." and "Adding Lifetime..." both of these progress to 47% over the course of about 4-5 seconds each.

- The above also goes for trying to add the channels from "Streaming Channels".

- Rebooting at this point has no effect on the issues with these two channels.

- I have run manual System Updates for years and have never had a problem with it until this week.

0 Kudos
lb48
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I'm having the same problem.  The both channels worked the last time I used them.  Now I get an error message that says "Can't run channel."  "History could not be run because it could not be reinstalled from the network.  Please check your network and try again".  It is happening on both my Roku Express and Stick.  They both just had a system update to 11.5.  On the Roku stick I uninstalled it and rebooted and tried to reinstall.  It tries to reinstall but stops mid way and I get the same error message.

Any suggestions as to what is going on or how to resolve this?

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

So I have the craziest thing happening, when I open History Channel it opens as Lifetime. 

I was having the same problem as you with History saying it couldn’t update, so I uninstalled it then tried to download it again. I had to try at least 10 times to get it to download. I just want to watch Oak Island. 

0 Kudos
Psilobite
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

I just ran another manual system update, and this time it added HISTORY and Lifetime back successfully.

It shows up as installed ("Go to channel") in Streaming Channels, they show up in the installed channels list, and both channels launch successfully.

Perhaps someone saw this thread?

0 Kudos
lb48
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Update.

I now have History and Lifetime on both my devices.  Problem solved.

0 Kudos