Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: HBO Max black screen after returning from pause

Oooh me too! That's what I was just saying to the other person,  I really think it's an HBO Max thing because ot only happens on HBO Max, none of the other streaming services do it... even Netflix if you're paused for a long time, it'll go to the screen of whatever you're watching... it's odd. 

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the posts.

If you have not already, can you please provide us the following information:
-Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found be selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
-tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times)
-steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing

Once we have this information we will be able to pass it along to the appropriate Roku team to investigate further.

Thanks,
Danny 

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
spheremonk
Channel Surfer

Danny,

Here’s the information you requested:

I currently have this issue on two different devices (and have had the same problem on a couple of previous non-Ultra Roku models and with earlier versions of HBOMax) in each case only on HBOMax:

FIRST DEVICE:

Device/Model 4800X – Roku Ultra

Serial Number X010002RJW9V

Device ID S02A217RJW9V

Software Version 10.5.0 – build 4208-C2

HBOMax

Version 50.60

Build 70744

ID Tracker 9V-020-719

SECOND DEVICE:

Device/Model 4662RW – Roku Ultra LT

Serial Number YJ005C702423

Device ID 046095702423

Software Version 10.5.0 – build 4208-46

HBOMax

Version 50.60

Build 70744

ID Tracker 23-021-232

Please let me know if any further information would be helpful.

Thanks.

Best,

spheremonk

0 Kudos
Awwwyeah1
Reel Rookie

Happens a lot to me as well on my sticks and ultras. Most recently was a few minutes ago on

Model 3810x Roku Streaming Stick +

10.5.0 build 4208-50

ID 66-021-360

HBO Max Version 50.60 build 70744

Happens everytime I pause and the screen saver kicks in and then I try to unpause. I need to hit the home button and go back into HBO max. Only happens with this app.

0 Kudos
MsRubyTuesday
Binge Watcher

Hi Danny,

Here is the information you asked for..

Roku Express - 3930X 
Serial#- X00400F5DYXF..
Software v.- 10.5.0 - build 4208-AE...
Device ID- S0085175 DYXF...

Channel is HBO max
version 50.60... Build 70744.

*It only happens on this channel. When I pause and it goes to screen saver, I will hit play or back button but instead of going back to the show the screen stays black. In order to get back to using HBO Max/the show I have to hit roku remote home button and reselect HBO Max to continue to watch my shows.

0 Kudos
jontalk
Roku Guru

Of all channels, HBO Max is the poorest when it comes to performance and AV quality which given the high ratings of its content, contradicts itself. It's the slowest to open, and returning to a title after reviewing the summary rarely returns you to where you'd left off. I use a WIRED 200 mbps connection with a top tier home theater system and compared to FREE channels, its performance pales in comparison. "...and that's all I'm gonna say about that..." ~ Forrest Gump

Power User (film maker)
Mill Valley, CA

Jonathan
Roku Ultra 4800R; LG OLED55B7A, ONKYO TX-NR636, Panasonic Blu Ray, Definitive Studio Monitor 450 (L/R), Definitive LCR 2000 (center), Definitive 10" sub-woofer, Definitive surrounds. Motorola MB8600 modem. Asus RT-AX68U WiFi 6 router. Western Digital Power Line network adapters
0 Kudos
MsRubyTuesday
Binge Watcher

@tychosis 

I believe that is what we are all experiancing under this post topic gor black screen aftter pause. You were just so detailed☺

A day or so ago a man named Danny from Roku posted and is asking everyone for roku and channel information. In his post/comment he mentioned what he needs and how to find it.

Good luck with HBO Max!

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the posts and information.

Please be aware that the newest Roku OS 10.5 has added a new Power item in Settings > System menu for some Roku models. If you have this Power item, under Auto power savings see if deactivating After 20 minutes of no interaction fixes the problem.

In the meantime, I have passed along the information you have provided to the appropriate Roku team to investigate further. Once more information is available, I'll make sure to update this thread.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
chaderopla
Channel Surfer

@RokuDanny-R I don't have power saving on. You posted that a few weeks ago and at that point I turned it off and never turned it back on and still have the same issue. Here is 1 of 2 TV specs. Keeping in mind it does happen to both my TVs.

Device/Model: C235X/55R6+

Serial Number: X0010047YT5U

Device ID: S01RW077YT5U

Software Version: 10.5, build 4210-94

Channel: HBOMax

Version: 50.60

Build: 70744

ID Tracker: 5U-025-756

Des C.
0 Kudos
MsRubyTuesday
Binge Watcher

Danny,

Thank you for your responses. However, my roku doesnt have that power feature. I looked everywhere in the system list and even before it and there is no Power option. I even checked for update just in case, nothing.

0 Kudos