Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KJD44
Binge Watcher

Frozen black 'ad info" screen during commercials

Jump to solution

Several times a day during commercials using YouTube TV a black screen, with NO sound will appear instead of a commercial with the words  " ad info" up in the left top corner of the screen. The screen will remain there until you back out of the channel, choose another channel then switch back. Last year at this time the same thing happened with a Verizon or AT&T Christmas commercial, many people had the same problem. I don't know if it's a ROKU or a YouTube TV problem, I'm reaching out to both.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Frozen black 'ad info" screen during commercials

Jump to solution

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your patience while this issue was being investigated.

YouTube has stated that they have resolved the issue on their side. At this time, we would recommend checking for a channel update and seeing if the issue is still occurring.

Please keep us posted if you continue to see this issue after March 8th.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
136 REPLIES 136
RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Hello @KJD44

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. 

Does the issue only occur on YouTube TV or across other channels installed on your Roku device? Have you also noticed if it's happening to a certain ad? If so, please let us know. 

Moreover, if you haven't tried yet, you can remove the affected channel then re-install it. To ensure the process is successful, make sure to restart your device before adding the channel back in. We would recommend doing this from the Settings menu by navigating to Settings System System restart > Restart.

For detailed instructions, refer to this Support link: How do I resolve channel playback issues?

Please keep us updated.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
KJD44
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Hello,

I've only noticed this issue on YouTube TV, and it's just a black blank screen with no sound with the words "ad info" up in the top left corner, like I've noticed on other actual commercials. It appears the TV has been turned off but it hasn't because I see the words ad info on the screen. This occurs throughout several channels, no just one and the only way to get the channel that this issue has occurred on to resume is to hit the back arrow, go to the channel menu, click on a new channel then back arrow and back to the channel I was watching. Like I mentioned this happened last year with one specific holiday commercial for Verizon, only then the image would freeze, and again no sound. 

Thank you for your time.

RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@KJD44

Appreciate the response.

Please provide us with the following information for further investigation:

-Roku device model
-Serial number
-Device ID
-Software OS/version
(these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-Tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times)
With more information, we will be able to assist you further.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
James1776
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Sorry but this problem is not fixed doing the delete of the app and its reinsertion. So far it is a YouTube Roku Fox news issue. All my other Roku channels work fine. How can I get this problem resolved. So far I need to back out completely from the black screen, move to another app and then go back into YouTube TV where it will work again, but only for a few hours.

James1776
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Roku Device Model -3810X Roku streaming stick

Serial Number - YH00A5314536

Device ID - C1383A314536

Software OS Version - 10.5.0 build 4208-50

Hud73

Jump to solution

Hello, The SAME EXACT thing is happening with my Roku. It happens ONLY with Fox News, no other channels. 

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@James1776

Thanks for providing us with your information that we have requested.

We have passed along the information to the appropriate Roku team to investigate further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
KJD44
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Hello,

I tried responding to Kariza message and was getting a "message not found"

My black screen is NOT just Fox News but others as well.

Model 3800x- Roku streaming stick

Software version 10.5.0 build 4208-55

I  did not provided serial and device ID because it's happening on 3 of the 5 of my TV's that I know of using the Roku stick. 1 TV is a Roku TV and I don't believe it's happening on there, but I'm not sure.

Jump to solution

I am having same issue when watching. Ou Tube TV. We sometimes wind up missing key parts of the program. Roku please fox quick!

0 Kudos