Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Frozen black 'ad info" screen during commercials

Jump to solution

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the posts.

This issue is still under investigation with the appropriate Roku team. Once more information is available, I'll be sure to update this thread. We appreciate your patience in the meantime.

If you have not already, please provide us with the following information:

-Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found be selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
-tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times)
-steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing

Once we have this information, we will make sure to pass it along to the appropriate Roku team.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
dbeau
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

For me, the 'ad info' freeze always happens when I'm watching Fox News and a Liberty Mutual Insurance commercial plays.  After the commercial, I'm frozen.  I have to exit completely out of the YoutubeTv App and and go back in to watch Fox News again.

0 Kudos
PghTechnicol
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I agree with this pattern.  Same experience for us.  

0 Kudos
streamerman
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Why is this taking so long to figure out? Been going on for quite some time now. Is it a Roku issue or a YouTube TV issue? Can't seem to get anything resolved by contacting YouTube TV either. Happened to me again last night. Seems to happen on any channel that has those "ad info" type of commercials. I've already tried all the so called solutions such as removing and reinstalling app, rebooting, etc. Didn't solve the problem. Maybe Roku and YouTube TV should get together and try and solve it together. Hope it gets solved soon. Gets very annoying. 

0 Kudos
sliechty

Jump to solution

Just wanted to chime in and say I'm having the same issue on 2 different tvs on different channels.

Will replace rokus with something else soon if no fix.

0 Kudos
davidperez
Binge Watcher

Roku won't come back from commercials

Jump to solution

If this is an old topic, I didn't find it with my search.  And I'm guessing it's gonna get shoved over at Youtube TV, but...

What on earth did <whoever did it - Roku, Youtube TV> do THIS time? 

For the last few weeks, it won’t come back to the playback when you fast-forward or back.  It just sits and spins 90% of the time.  You MAY get a piece of dialog on the screen, but as near as I can tell, it’ll set there permanently.

This is ONLY in the Library, it happens on EVERY program I’ve tried, it does NOT happen with Netflix, it does NOT happen with Live TV ('course, you can't skip commercials there), I ONLY see it in the Library.

I’ve used THREE DIFFERENT data feeds, all of which have AT LEAST 20Mbps of bandwidth available.  All completely separate, all work fine for everything else.

We have two TVs using Roku Express units and THEY BOTH DO THE SAME THING.

Click on a program, and instead of starting it just sits there and spins.  Fast forward a couple presses and IT MAY start playing or it MAY continue to sit there and spin.  A piece of dialogue MAY show up, but it JUST SITS THERE.  Keep playing around with the 30 second jumps, forward and backward, and EVENTUALLY it’ll start playing.  You MAY have to back up MINUTES, or go forward MINUTES.  But eventually it'll start.  OFTEN, there's a several second period where the CC is working but there's NO SOUND.  But eventually THAT comes back on too.  Til the next commercial break.  Fast forward through that and go through the SAME PROCESS AGAIN.  Over and over and over.  Usually 'til you're about ready to see how many PIECES you can turn the Roku and remote into.

The system update says everything is up to date.  10.5.0, Build 4208

The ROKU was powered off for SEVERAL minutes then restarted.

Is there some OTHER bizarre thing I need to do to get this fixed? 

0 Kudos
Trey063

Jump to solution

I never had this issue until I bought a Roku sound bar for Christmas. Having the exact issue of it happening on Fox News and extremely limited on any other  channels. Guess I will chunk the sound bar and put the Ultra back on the TV. Looking at getting of Roku and switching to another streaming device. This has been going on way too long not to be resolved. 

0 Kudos
Biged60

Jump to solution

Same issue on Fox News and tbs. Following

0 Kudos
KiwiChris
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I've just ordered a "Chromecast with Google TV" device. Looks good on YouTube. I'm officially done with Roku after close to 10 years. If I like this new device and it's remote, I'm going to buy 2 more for the other TV's in our house and sell the Rokus. It's just ridiculous that it's gone on so long.

0 Kudos
KJD44
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Agree, this whole experience has been frustrating and exhausting. I woke up this morning to find the screen frozen again, God only knows how many hours it was like that. No resolve in sight.

0 Kudos