Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tich00
Reel Rookie

Re: Frozen black 'ad info" screen during commercials

Jump to solution

I have an two ultras two Roku TVs and three stick +. It’s never happened on either ultra but has on most of the other devices. Limit add tracking is unchecked on the ultras and the Roku TV so in my case that’s not the issue

0 Kudos
James1776
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

None of the fixes suggested had any effect on this problem. I replaced the stick with a newer version but the issue persisted. Then I decided to try something new. I unplugged the USB power supply from my monitors USB slot and plugged it into the house mains. 24 hours so far with no black screen issue. 

0 Kudos
KiwiChris
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Well, that's interesting. Will you please give us a report after a day or two to tell us if there has still been no issues? I have all of mine powered by the different TV's USBs..., maybe incidentally, and of no importance, all of our TVs are Samsung TVs.

Thank you for letting us know that!

0 Kudos
Nova_Guy
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Settings > Privacy > Advertising > Limit Ad Tracking > uncheck this box

This is unchecked, issue is still there

0 Kudos
AframeDeb
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Followed these directions and found my 'Limit Ad Tracking' box was already unchecked.  I am experiencing the black screen with the 'Ad Info' msg on it.  It happens while watching HGTV for me.

0 Kudos
James1776
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Going on two days without the black screen. Mayhap Roku's sticks are too sensitive to small changes in power. Try plugging the power supply into the mains instead of a USB source.

0 Kudos
James1776
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Spoke too soon...first black screen in 36 hours right after I posted...SO...I wait for Roku to figure this out.

0 Kudos
streamerman
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Same thing has been happening to me. Contacting YouTube tv hasn't been much help. They just tell me to send a feedback when it happens or delete and reinstall app. I've been contemplating on trying to delete app and reinstall but don't know how risky that would be to do or if it would even help. 

0 Kudos
KiwiChris
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution
@James1776 wrote:

Spoke too soon...first black screen in 36 hours right after I posted...SO...I wait for Roku to figure this out.

Haha, I read your first reply yesterday, and changed it hopefully. Nope. Came back to reply to you and find out it's a big nope with you too. I don't think Roku is actually trying to fix this, I think it's a hardware issue... probably in the chipset, and they don't want to do a recall. They'll just keep asking us for info, and one at a time we'll grow impatient and upgrade to the Ultra 4k or something else that doesn't do it. Thanks anyway!

0 Kudos
James1776
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Sadly true...My first stick was a 4 year old device. I had a new streaming stick+ on hand so I tried that but have the same problem. I am running a 3 year old Roku 4 on my primary TV and have never had any issue with it. 

So, my recommendation to folk who ask is to buy the top priced Roku device or steer clear of Roku and try a firestick. It at least works.

I also have an old Apple TV device which delivers top flight performance BUT, its operator interface is a horror so I find myself seldom going there.

0 Kudos