Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tracy4571

Freezing issues from commerical to tv show with Spectrum streaming

I watch tv shows via Spectrum cable streaming using Roku, instead of a Spectrum cable box. I am having multiple issues. One of the biggest and most constant is picture freezing after a commercial ends and goes back to the show. The show returns verbally, but the picture stays stuck on the commercial while the show continues in the background. NOTHING stops this. I literally need to back out and go to another channel then swap back to the channel I was watching. This sucks when watching a sporting event. I've tried everything from resetting the Roku, changing the remote batteries, restarting the tv and even the system. Nothing stops it.

My other issue is my remote to my Roku (there's two Rokus. One in the living room and one in the bedroom) in my room. The remote goes dead within 24 hours of using it even with new batteries. I'm changing the batteries at least 3 times a week. It's ridiculous.

Please advise.

0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
Richvideo
Binge Watcher

Re: Freezing issues from commerical to tv show with Spectrum streaming

I have the same issue, happens with PLEX app as well

(Roku Ultra 2020)

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@Richvideo

Thanks for the post.

Try removing the channel from the Roku home screen by navigating to the channel tile, pressing the * key on your remote and choosing 'Remove channel'. Then restart your device from Settings>System>System restart. Once your player starts up again, add the channel back once more. 

Does this clear up the issue you are seeing? Please keep us posted what you find out.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Richvideo
Binge Watcher

That is not going to help it happens on other channels as well.

This is an issue that has been going on for a while related to the HDMI copy protection, the handshake between devices fails for whatever reason so the only way to fix it is to reboot the Roku. It would happen all the time on YouTube then about a year ago it started to happen much less often.

I have the correct HDMI wire for 4K HDR but it goes through an older sony receiver to the Roku and that might trigger this issue sometimes, it seems the Roku update has made the device more sensitive to this and it causes the image to freeze on diffrent apps like Spectrum, Plex etc.

Karenlitt
Reel Rookie

Removing & replacing worked, but only for about a week.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@Karenlitt

Thanks for the post.

Can you please specify the issue you are experiencing? What are the steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing? What troubleshooting steps have you already taken to try to resolve the issue?

With more detailed information, we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Richvideo
Binge Watcher

Once the recent Roku OS 11 updates were rolled out this has become a problem more often with

Spectrum, YouTube, PLEX

When you fast forward the image will freeze while the audio continues to play, this will also occur in the Spectrum app when the program switches to commercial

Unplugging the HDMI wire or rebooting the Roku will stop the issue for a while, the issue will start again the next time you turn the TV on.

Roku Ultra 202o Edition

Philips 4K TV

HDMI audio pass through an older Sony Audio receiver 

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@Richvideo

Thanks for the post.

Can you please provide us the following information:

• Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
  • does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found be selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
  • tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times and provide us with this ID)
  • steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing 

Once we have this information, we will be able to pass it along to the appropriate Roku team to investigate further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
RAB1257

My Roku is TV is doing the same thing freezing on the spectrum commercial when the individual on the commercial pushes the button on their remote.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@RAB1257

Thanks for the post.

Can you please provide the information that we have requested in my post above.

With more detailed information, we will be able to investigate the issue further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos