Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
georgie7
Reel Rookie

ESPN airing issue on Sling

I signed up for Sling to be able to watch the NBA playoffs on ESPN. As the 4th quarter of the game started the stream reverted back to the beginning of the game and I missed the end of the game. Is this a Roku issue or Sling issue? I want to watch another game tonight and know how to deal with the problem if it comes up again. 

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
Ello2022
Roku Guru

Re: ESPN airing issue on Sling

Are you watching ESPN on Sling or using the ESPN channel? It’s not a Roku issue at all. You can also download the ESPN channel and log in with your Sling credentials. Don’t log into ESPN+

0 Kudos
georgie7
Reel Rookie

Watching ESPN on Sling. So a Sling issue? 

0 Kudos
Ello2022
Roku Guru

Roku does not develop the Sling channel. Sling does. Like I said you can download the ESPN channel and login with your sling credentials

0 Kudos
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

@georgie7 wrote:

Watching ESPN on Sling. So a Sling issue? 

Possibly. Sling had lots of issues when they first launched (2015) and I learned quickly to use the authentication of other apps, such as ESPN. It used to be nearly required, but Sling has improved vastly over the years. Still, it's a good thing to have in reserve. I'd suggest configuring the ESPN app to use Sling. Keep in mind that if you also use ESPN+ that's a different configuration process, though the process looks exactly the same.

It may not be Sling, but actually the network that's at issue. I'm not saying your network is the issue, but the ISP or servers that are providing the stream could have issues.

If it's anything other than your network or your ISP, then switching apps (from Sling to ESPN) may temporarily resolve it, as the stream to the ESPN app is probably not the same one that provides the stream to your Sling app.

If you prefer to watch via Sling, then do that. But having the ESPN app authenticated for a backup method may get you through these kind of things.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos