Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: ESPN Plus 'Media Not Allowed'

Jump to solution

Hi @UFOpilotFTL,

Welcome to the Roku Community!

We recommend starting here to troubleshoot channel issues: Follow these steps in order:

1. Navigate to the channel tile on the Roku home screen, press the * key on your remote, and choose 'Remove channel'.
  2. Next, restart your device from Settings>System>System restart. (For Roku TV Settings>System>Power>System restart)
  3. Once your player/TV starts up again, go to 'Streaming Channels' on the Home screen, and add the channel back once more.

You may also refer to this link: How to resolve a channel playback issue | Official Roku Support. If that still doesn't clear up the issue you're experiencing, we recommend contacting the channel provider directly to follow up for more help. They’ll be able to best assist with any issues that are occurring within their channel.

You can reach their support team here.

Please keep us posted on what you find out.

Best regards,
Mary

0 Kudos
Michaelpos

Jump to solution

Do you have spectrum internet service?  I’m having the same issue. A Roku tv and trying to stream collage baseball on ESPN + with the subscription I purchased. 

0 Kudos
HDMIGuy
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

I have Spectrum internet service and a TCL Roku TV.  My ESPN + has always worked fine.  I can't find any college baseball game on ESPN+ at the present time so I can't try to stream a game now.  I have watched several football and basketball games on ESPN+

0 Kudos
OwnerofDevices
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

I watched a college basketball last night and I often watch Hockey on ESPN+ without any issues regularly. You should contact ESPN+ ESPN+ Help Center | Support & FAQs (espnplus.com).

Trevor_Bartram
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

I dropped ESPN+ a long time ago because it provided no real benefit to me. Up until last summer Spectrum internet provided most ESPN tennis matches without needing ESPN+, just the semifinals and finals were 'Media Not Allowed'. So I'd watch those match hi-lites on YT.

Recently I tuned in to the ESPN app for the Australian Open and all the matches were 'Media Not Allowed'. This summer I'll sign up for ESPN+, hopefully I'll get access to matches. It appears the agreement between Spectrum and ESPN has changed yet again. I've had it good (free!) for a long time so I can't really complain.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the posts.

If you are experiencing issues trying to play content on the ESPN channel, we would recommend taking a look at the troubleshooting steps provided by @RokuMary-F's previous post.

Please keep us posted what you find out.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Trevor_Bartram
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Reinstalled ESPN. Managed to watch the AO high lights show (non-ESPN+) then tried the next match and got the activation screen. After activation could not no longer play matches. The number of good non-ESPN+ matches is small anyhow. Next Spring/Summer I'll sign up for ESPN+.

0 Kudos
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

This is not an ESPN problem!!!  It’s a Roku problem! I called ESPN and Dish and we did everything on their end. I can watch these games with NO PROBLEM on my Firestick, tablet, iPad, iPhone, Smart TV, etc. It only doesn’t work on the Roku and I have 2 of them! I cannot find a phone number to even call to get any help. I have done everything this site said to troubleshoot numerous times - restarted Roku, Uninstalled and reinstalled ESPN app. Logged out and back in ESPN and Dish and nothing works!! Still says media not allowed!! Very upset and disappointed. I guess I’ll have to buy another Firestick to be able to watch these games on my ESPN app. 

0 Kudos
OwnerofDevices
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

ESPN works fine on my 3 Roku TVs. So, I don't know what you are doing wrong? 

0 Kudos
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

It’s not all games only certain ones and I do have ESPN+ so it’s not that

0 Kudos