Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lpshanet
Binge Watcher

ESPN App has no preview during Fast Forward or Rewind

Jump to solution

It seems ridiculous to me that the ESPN app has no preview/viewing capability when fast forwarding or rewinding. That means if you're trying to go back or forward in a game, you're doing it totally blind. Almost every other app I use on Roku (from HBO to Hulu to Netflix to the provider apps) include this as a normal feature. And ESPN's apps on all the other platforms like Apple TV and Fire TV offer this functionality. 

Why is the ESPN app for Roku crippled this way? Sports are the place where you need to see the footage while shuttling most of all. I'm assuming this is the way the app is built and not an error? 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

Re: ESPN App has no preview during Fast Forward or Rewind

Jump to solution

Hi @lpshanet

We're sorry to hear about the issue you're experiencing.

Please be advised that the channel developer themselves maintains channels on Roku. We suggest reaching out to the channel provider's customer support team to report the issue and get help. There's likely an issue within that specific channel that needs to be addressed with an update from them.

Thank you for your understanding.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
OwnerofDevices
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

You need to ask your question to ESPN, because ESPN developes the ESPN app.

0 Kudos
lpshanet
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I've done that, too. Each says it's the other's fault.

I posted here also to make sure that it was, in fact, a known behavior of the app and a feature that doesn't exist, rather than a technical error/issue with my own app or Roku. (ESPN's apps on every other platform have this feature, so wanted to make sure it was in fact expected to be missing from the Roku version for some reason.) 

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Hi @lpshanet

We're sorry to hear about the issue you're experiencing.

Please be advised that the channel developer themselves maintains channels on Roku. We suggest reaching out to the channel provider's customer support team to report the issue and get help. There's likely an issue within that specific channel that needs to be addressed with an update from them.

Thank you for your understanding.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
lpshanet
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Any suggestion on how to reach their app support team? ESPN is a huge organization and most of it is not relevant to dealing with the Roku app. 

0 Kudos
OwnerofDevices
Roku Guru

Jump to solution
0 Kudos
lpshanet
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Update: Spoke to someone at ESPN, who said that this is indeed true that the ESPN app doesn't offer this functionality and that it is a "Roku device issue". So they claim that it's something about the way the Roku or its software is built that prevents them from adding this function. Not sure why that would be, but kind of leaves me stuck with the only device in the streaming world that doesn't allow the ESPN app to give a FF/REW preview. All of the other ESPN apps do. 

0 Kudos