Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BLMTV
Reel Rookie

Duplicate Channel TRADE NAME VIOLATION

The BLACK LIVES MATTER TV APP HAS A LOGO AND NAME THAT IS A DIRECT VIOLATION OF A TRADEMARK BRAND. THEY ARE A ROKU DIRECT PUBLISHER.

BLACK LIVES MATTER TV ROKU CHANNEL MUST CEASE AND DESIST FROM USING OUR BRAND AS OF TODAY 10/07/2022. THEY ARE A DUPLICATE.

SHOULD YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS PLEASE DO NOT HESITATE TO ASK. 

BLM TV

OWNER

I am unable to find the Elite developer and I am not sure who should all receive this information. Please share with me how this should be handled or who this should be forwarded to thank you. 

CHANNEL VERSION: 1.2.2, GC 7.5.112

SOFTWARE VERSION: 11.0.0 • 4193-88

DEVICE ID: SO5EYO7CY7VD

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Duplicate Channel TRADE NAME VIOLATION

@BLMTV 

I am sure the appropriate moderator will come along to address your concerns.

However, you may need to brush up your reading regarding your claims. https://smithhopen.com/2020/06/09/black-lives-matter-trademark-public-domain/

And searches for BLMTV fail to yield results in Trademark Electronic Search System (TESS) https://tmsearch.uspto.gov/bin/gate.exe?f=searchstr&state=4804:ym94r0.1.1

And your CAPS Lock button appears to be stuck.  No need to shout here.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
BLMTV
Reel Rookie

Thank you for your help. Black Lives Matter is not registrable, but BLM TV is and has been filed.

They are using Black Lives Matter TV but showing an icon as BLM TV that is my problem. 

Once again thank you for your help and feedback.  

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

@BLMTV 

https://tsdr.uspto.gov/#caseNumber=97619512&caseType=SERIAL_NO&searchType=statusSearch

Apparently, your application is still waiting assignment, examination, and approval, so technically no trademark exists/awarded.

---

I see your concern here, but that other other channel has a different name (Black Lives Matter Tv), a different logo, different content, is abbreviated BLMTV in its thumbnail, channel has been in place since 10/2020 where yours is different logo and says BLM TV, and channel placed  10/2022 and recently filed for trademark 10/4/2022 for the mark  BLM TV - THE REVOLUTION WILL BE STREAMED.

Your initial posting seemed to indicate they either stole/duplicated your channel or took the name of your channel.  Until your application for exclusive use is approved, don't really see what Roku is supposed to do.  (But of course, it will be up to them).

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102