Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jet460

Does "live" news even exist in streaming?

New to streaming. Bought the Roku Ultra so I could get F1TV.
Literally everything else is garbage.
"Live" news is a recording from as far back as 3 weeks.
A friend said get "iptv".
I payed.
Not supported by Roku.
So tell me, other than one app, and free movies I can get anywhere, what is the attraction of this thing?
Are there actual live news stations?
I can't find any.
Well, none that don't tell me to pay my cable carrier haha.

Trying to find a reason to not just get cable.

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
Strega
Roku Guru

Re: Does "live" news even exist in streaming?

Sure.  SlingTV is one example of a streaming service with news.  CNN, HLN, MSNBC, Foxnews are in the basic "blue" package.  And additional news package and a locals package can be added.

Of course, that's just one of a great many channel/apps available on Roku.

0 Kudos
jet460

They all require extra fees. By the time I pay for one station at a time, I now have a bill bigger than cable.

0 Kudos
Strega
Roku Guru

It is definitely possible to spend more or less for streaming compared to cable.  And package deals do nearly always cost less than the sum of their components.  But some people have a 200-channel cable package and only use 7.  If they look around, they may find options to stream those 7 for much less, or they may decide that to save even more money, 5 of those will do.  Some people don’t use Rokus to replace cable but to add to it.

0 Kudos
denhow
Roku Guru

There are plenty of free live Roku news channels: NBC News, CBS News, ABC News Live, Newsy, Al Jazeera, Sky News, France 24, NEWSnet, Haystack News, etc. And lots of others. Just sample a bunch from the Channel Store and find the ones you like.

0 Kudos