Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ulysses775
Reel Rookie

Disney+ Basic with Ads: Why won't it work?

I just changed my Disney subscription to be a bundle. I chose the basic package, even though it had ads. Previously, I had a premium subscription and had no problems. Now that I have changed, Disney+ won't work on Roku. Disney support says that Roku won't allow Disney+ Basic on their devices. This was not stated on Disney's page. I also can't find it on Roku's webpage. Disney support says the only way to resolve is to upgrade package. This seems like a scam. Why won't Roku let the Basic package with ads work? They allow Hulu. THis makes no sense. 

9 REPLIES 9
RokuKarla
Retired Moderator

Re: Disney+ Basic with Ads: Why won't it work?

Hello @ulysses775

Thanks for reaching out here in the Community!

Disney Plus is still available on Roku, but Disney Plus Basic is no longer supported. I don't have any information at the moment, but we will notify customers if more information becomes available in the future.

However, you may watch Disney+ Basic on your Roku by sharing the content from an Apple, Android, or Windows device.

Here’s how:

How to use AirPlay and HomeKit with your Roku® streaming device | Official Roku Support
How to screen mirror your Android™ or Windows® phone to your Roku® streaming device | Official Roku ...

Thanks for your patience regarding this matter.

Regards,
Karla

0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

"Disney Plus is still available on Roku, but Disney Plus Basic is no longer supported" is not strictly correct.

The carriage agreement between Roku and Disney was reached when Disney Plus was all there was.  Disney Plus Basic, the ad-supported Disney version, was not around at that time and is not covered by the original agreed-upon contract. 

At this point Roku and Disney have not agreed upon a contract extension to cover Disney Plus Basic, and Disney Plus Basic has never been carried on Roku.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
Streamdeb

Same thing happened to me, I wanted Disney Plus and Hulu basic with ads, and there is no disclaimer on Disney plus website, Hulu website, or Roku that says it does not work on Roku. Feeling deceived, and they are discriminating against people who cannot or choose not to pay the premium upgrade.

I don’t understand why Roku works with other streaming services with ads, and upper tier Disney plus, but not basic. Even though I read the explanation below it still seems senseless. 
I was going to upgrade from my old Roku streaming stick to a fancy Roku tv, but fix this problem. Screen mirroring and air play are ways around problem, but that is a pretty pathetic solution.

renojim

@Streamdeb, Disney and Roku will most likely come to an agreement eventually, but don't expect any official word from anyone at Roku as to how negotiations are going to be posted here.

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
ulysses775
Reel Rookie

Using a second device to stream through a Roku is far from ideal and hardly a solution. 

0 Kudos
ulysses775
Reel Rookie

I found a solution that does not involve mirroring. I bought an Amazon Firestick. Disney+ Basic with Ads works with no issues. It was also a more cost effective solution than upgrading my Disney package. In fact, I have not found any drawbacks to the Firestick and even their lower price models have voice interaction (though I never use it). At this point, I am not sure if I even need to keep Roku. 

0 Kudos
Cdid89

I down graded to the basic package after I realized I was suddenly being charged $10.99 a month for Disney+. It could only be watched on one device in the house and that was because it was a chrome cast. I just did the basic bundle for Disney+ and Hulu basic and I can watch Disney+ on my Roku. My two oldest kids have been witness to it not working on the Roku prior to tonight and we just did it on a whim and it worked. Hopefully it isn't a fluke and after all the changes process it stops working again.

0 Kudos
andyross
Roku Guru

As of April 4, 2023, Roku now supports ad-supported Disney+ according to this article:

https://cordcuttersnews.com/roku-finally-adds-support-for-disneys-basic-with-ads-plan/

0 Kudos
atc98092

Other users have confirmed the latest version update of the Disney+ channel now supports the Basic with Ads subscription. 

Dan

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos