Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bbstream

Different App versions across devices for YouTube

My Roku premier + is 2.20. Build 110005156 of the YouTube app  and does not allow variable speed playback.

My Roku Express 4K+ is 2.22 build 110005090  of the YouTube app and I have variable speed playback.

Both devices show up to date.  I spent a lot of money on my Roku premier +  so why are the apps not updated?

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Different App versions across devices for YouTube

You would have to ask Google. They own YouTube and provide the channel for Roku devices. We really have no way of knowing why they have different version on different devices. But I can say that other channels have shown the same thing. For example, Netflix has shown different channel version numbers on different hardware in the past. I don't use NF now, so I can't say if the numbers match now or not.

Just don't expect Google to give you a straight answer... 😄

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Different App versions across devices for YouTube

As far as I can tell playbackSpeed is an undocumented feature of some Roku devices.  If it's not on one device then that device probably doesn't support it.  I'm not sure how Google ascertains what devices support it because, as I said, it's not documented anywhere that I can find.  It could have something to do with the version of the channel/app, but I'd be more inclined to believe the device that doesn't show the option doesn't support it.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos