Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ibsparky

DS Video removed from ROKU, not all is lost on playing your media

Yes, DS Video was removed, however, I use ROKU Media player to access my Synology NAS.  It's not the best in terms of layout, however, its easy to use and plays my video files.  Very easy to setup and no additional apps or configurations like mirroring.  So, with that said, not a real big loss with DS Video gone.

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
allmycompstuff
Reel Rookie

Re: DS Video removed from ROKU, not all is lost on playing your media

I never actually used the Synology DS Video channel I was just using the Roku Media Player. It always gave me full Meta Data, image previews and loads of functions, in fact I was surprised how similar it was to my Netflix GUI. Then all of a sudden I go to watch a movie and all I have is a HORRIBLE file and folder browser which is totally unusable. Obviously I am attributing it to the removal of DS Video because the timing is in sync with that.

Is your's just a file browser or do you have a full metadata feature set?

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

@allmycompstuff, did you maybe change the display format to "List" from "Grid"?  Press the * button to access the options.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
allmycompstuff
Reel Rookie

@renojim, hello and thanks for responding... changing from list to grid and vice versa only changes the display of the "folders". Previously I never had a view of any folders. When I went into movies I saw a screen with images of the movies that were available and when I selected a movie I would see the info and if I had already watched it or if I wanted to resume playing. Now all I ever see is folders until I drill down and see a video to play

0 Kudos
renojim

@allmycompstuff, sorry, I was hoping that was it. I don't use RMP myself, I just knew there was an option in there somewhere for list vs. grid. @atc98092 is the expert around here on RMP. Maybe he has some insight.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
atc98092

@allmycompstuffcan you post a screen shot of what you are seeing now? RMP unfortunately has not had any updates in close to two years for most portions of the channel, and even the most recent update was close to a year ago. The last few updates were all geared towards issues with music playback, and there's been nothing done with the UI in quite some time.

I have RMP set up differently on two different versions of the channel. One is in grid view, and one is in list. But as far as the content that I can see, that's controlled by my DLNA server. When I start RMP, the first screen I see is the Media Type Selection, which I usually just by default use All. The next screen is the source selection. On the player I'm looking at right now, I have four choices: USB drive, a HDHomeRun network tuner, and my two Serviio DLNA servers.

Selecting a Serviio server that is in Grid View, I first see my choices provided by Serviio, which is Titles, Movies, Series, Folders, Last Added and Playlists. They have the appearance of a folder. Selecting one of those, for example, Series, and I am presented with a folder with every TV series I have on my media server. They all have an image from the TV show, such as Adam-12, Columbo, Doctor Who, and so forth. Selecting the series, I now see a selection of seasons from that series, and again they have the generic folder icon. Selecting a season, I now get an image from each episode, along with the name, playback length, and resolution of the video. And of course, selecting the episode gives me more metadata, such as the original air date, the video format, and the synopsis of the episode.

Now, changing that to the List view, the first couple of views are identical. The first difference is once I've selected the source, the same folders I saw before, but the icons are much smaller and the selections are in a vertical list. Again selecting Series, I have the same list of series titles I had before, but again the icons are much smaller and the list is scrolled vertically. Using the FF or Rewind buttons make it extremely fast to scroll through a large list. Selecting a series again shows a list of seasons, and selecting the seasons shows the list of episodes. Selecting an episode then returns the identical screen with the metadata for that episode as the Grid view.

The only differences in Grid and List view is the size of the icons and the direction of the scrolling required to see the entire number of entries. In Grid view, you have large icons that are easy to see, but you must scroll both left/right and up/down to see everything. In List view, the icons are so small they serve little purpose, but scrolling is much easier and faster if looking for a specific title.

Unfortunately, with either view there's a lot of wasted screen space. Back when they had an actual beta test team, we continually asked for and made suggestions for improvements of the user interface. Right now, there doesn't appear to be any activity at all in updating RMP.

If you are seeing something different than you did in the past, that is likely tied to some sort of change/update to your media server, which I believe you said is on a NAS device. Unfortunately, most of those NAS media servers have very little ability to make any changes in the way the information is presented. It's one reason I started using Serviio about 10 years ago, because it is so configurable.

Dan

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Katitude

Roku Media Player, what a POS.  Garbage display, limited format support.  Why on earth did they remove DS Video!   I had to purchase a device for my TV and realized after DS Video has been removed.  Total fail for Roku.  I will never buy another one.  Don't have what I need then no need to buy it.   

0 Kudos