Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
masginc

Controlling So Only Minimal Apps Get Installed With New Roku Device

I have a cabin rental business and I am switching them to Roku's for streaming TV.  I only want two apps available to my customers as less options means less calls I get when people try to use things they shouldn't.  After I setup one device the way I want it and lock it down, it all gets wiped out when I attach a new device which installs a bunch of default apps like Disney+ and Hulu.  Once one Roku gets an app it pushes it to all the Rokus on the account.  It is a little bit infuriating that it would change a device after I have it setup just the way I want it.  I have several of these to setup and would like to prevent this.  I suspect there will be times when I have to reset them as well and will run into the same issue.  How do I limit what apps are installed to new devices when they are added?

0 Kudos
10 REPLIES 10
demsd
Roku Guru

Re: Controlling So Only Minimal Apps Get Installed With New Roku Device

Typically, when setting up an additional device you activate it via the website by logging into your account. Once you have done that, the device would only download the channels available on the account.

What are the exact steps you are taking when setting up the devices?

As far as not wanting customers to add channels, in your account under pin preferences, create a pin if you don't already have one set, otherwise change pin preferences to, "Always require a PIN to make purchases and add items from the Channel Store."

40" TCL Roku TV
50" TCL Roku TV
0 Kudos
masginc

I have the PIN set so they can't install stuff.

I am doing it like you stated, it sends an email and then it asks me if I want to install anything and I just click continue without selecting anything new.  Is there something in that step that states to not install anything?  Where can I control the channels available on the account?

0 Kudos
Ello2022
Roku Guru

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Before you click "Continue" make sure there aren't any channels/apps already selected/checked.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
masginc

Is there a way to remove channels from your store?  I can install channels on my store in my account but if I click them they don't have an option to uninstall that I see.

0 Kudos
masginc

What I am reading is that if I uninstall an app from one it will also uninstall from all the others right?  So once I have them all installed I can just simply remove the apps from one and it should propagate to the others at that point. 

0 Kudos
Ello2022
Roku Guru

0 Kudos
demsd
Roku Guru

@masginc wrote:

Is there a way to remove channels from your store?  I can install channels on my store in my account but if I click them they don't have an option to uninstall that I see.

Seems you have to remove them from the device.

40" TCL Roku TV
50" TCL Roku TV
0 Kudos
demsd
Roku Guru

@Ello2022 wrote:

@masginc  Use guest mode

https://support.roku.com/article/360015612834

Guest mode would sign you out of your subscription channels. Also, they can they can add channels which will automatically be removed on their sign-out date.

Don't know if that solves his issue.

40" TCL Roku TV
50" TCL Roku TV
0 Kudos