Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Boz
Roku Guru

Re: Complete removal of DS Video, from the Channel Store & All devices

That's not how it works.  None of the other platforms you mentioned created the app in question, either.

0 Kudos
Strega
Roku Guru

Yep.

The Microsoft store version is written by: Synology Inc.

The Apple store version is written by: Synology Inc.

The Google play store version is written by: Synology Inc.

If there was/is some similar/equivalent app written by “someone else (Roku or some third party)” on the Roku, platform, it would probably not be named “DS Video” since DS is for DiskStation which is a Synology product name that is probably trademarked.

0 Kudos
Bri_Wess
Reel Rookie

I’m not even going to complain anymore, “I thank you Roku” for forcing my hand to purchase my brand new 4k Firesticks yesterday $29 on amazon, and WOW! What a HUGE improvement over the Roku interface.. I mean, Had I known, I would have ditched Roku long ago.. The Amazon Firestick is wonderful, and faster, the voice command feature actually works unlike the Roku and all the Apps just look top notch! Especially the DSVIDEO app, I mean what a difference.. No more single line list of content, it’s the FULL page posters and layout like Netflix… Just hands down a better product.. And all my Roku devices are in the garbage, I would never give away something so inferior..

Oh, and something simple that I didn’t consider, I love that the Firestick pairs with my headsets and I don’t need to launch an app on my phone to switch the audio to my headset, just power on my BT headset and the Firestick swaps the audio automatically.. NICE~!

Get a firestick, you’ll be so glad to get away from RoCRAP..!

dead2me
Binge Watcher

If that is indeed the case, then why didn't Roku encourage Synology to bring the app up to snuff as compared to the others, vs. simply pull it?   Your post supports the contention that Roku doesn't care about this segment of their customers. 

0 Kudos
dead2me
Binge Watcher

Again, Roku didn't advocate for their customers who were using the app.  What the terms were between Synology and Roku, or MS, Google, Amazon, I have no idea.  Why develop it for the others, and pull it from Roku?  Perhaps the market share in regard to device popularity is shifting toward the others, perhaps there's a financial benefit provided by each of the device MFRs to Synology. 

Whatever the case may be, Roku seemingly said, WTFE, let's delete it... 

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the posts.

For more information about why a channel is missing or has been removed, visit our Support page here: A channel is missing

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Strega
Roku Guru

How do you know whether they “advocated” or “encouraged”? And what form would such “encouragement” take?  For example: Keep your app on our platform or we won’t let you use our platform anymore???  Why would that work?  There are thousands of apps on the Roku platform but they can’t run around forcing companies to be on it.  Many companies freely choose to be on it, because, based on something I googled: Roku has 80 million subscribers.  But apparently, that reason is insufficient for Synology.  (Which is OK – every company gets to make its own choices.)

0 Kudos
dead2me
Binge Watcher

@Strega wrote:

How do you know whether they “advocated” or “encouraged”? And what form would such “encouragement” take?  For example: Keep your app on our platform or we won’t let you use our platform anymore???  Why would that work?  There are thousands of apps on the Roku platform but they can’t run around forcing companies to be on it.  Many companies freely choose to be on it, because, based on something I googled: Roku has 80 million subscribers.  But apparently, that reason is insufficient for Synology.  (Which is OK – every company gets to make its own choices.)

I don't know that they did or did not.  Every company can make their own choices, but that doesn't mitigate the issue of existing installations being removed from devices.  If you want to pull it from the channel store, that's  one thing.  Removing it from a device when the customer was still using it to connect to their own library is quite different. Don't decide for us that we simply can't use it any longer without expecting some backlash.  We aren't trying to connect to a service that went offline or out of business.  It's certainly their prerogative, and it's ours to ditch their platform and devices as a result of them not giving a **bleep**. 

0 Kudos
dead2me
Binge Watcher

@RokuDanny-R wrote:

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the posts.

For more information about why a channel is missing or has been removed, visit our Support page here: A channel is missing

Thanks,
Danny

Thanks Danny, but per the info on the link you provided, we should contact the provider of the content.  Well, that would be me, as it's my Synology that provides the content.  So.....  I guess I can stop doing business with myself, as I certainly can't give myself the channel/app back.  Aside from that, with all due respect, your linked pages provides absolutely no useful information whatsoever.  It says a bunch of nothing.  So.. why was it removed? 

A bit of irony here, don't you think?  🙂

Streaming channels are either added to your Roku streaming player or Roku TV™ from the Roku Channel Store, or by entering the content provider’s dedicated access code into your Roku account. If you can no longer find the channel in the Roku Channel Store or the access code no longer works, the channel may no longer be available on the Roku platform.

• Note: If you subscribed to or purchased content on a channel that is no longer available on your Roku device, you can contact the content provider for more information.
0 Kudos
Strega
Roku Guru

For most apps on Roku, the app writer is the content provider.  But in this case, the app writer is/was Synology.  Of course, they have already told someone else to just use Roku Media Player, but it doesn’t hurt to let them know that you don’t like that solution.

0 Kudos