Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
butter048

Re: Complete removal of DS Video, from the Channel Store & All devices

I will do the same tired of Roku **bleep** going android box

0 Kudos
Isaac509
Reel Rookie

I'm in the same boat - Early Adopter of Roku starting with the M1000, multiple devices over the years.

This is heavy handed, there's no support other than community, and I am also round-filing my Roku and my Ultra in favor of AppleTV, which does in fact support Synology better.

Good luck Roku - You've joined the ranks of 'those who used to be good'

0 Kudos
Isaac509
Reel Rookie

Hi Danny -

Thank you for replying, but this does not help.

In the last week, I lost a critical part of the functionality of a personally-owned device (Roku set-top) to access media on another personally owned device (Synology NAS) on my local network.

This happened with zero notice other than an obscure argument Roku had with Synology in 2018, and by removing this functionality Roku effectively devalued the hardware device that I had already paid them for.

This renders the Roku device useless.  Why would I ever buy a set top box that stops delivering it's killer app with zero notice one day?

Set top boxes are table steaks.  Roku's heavy-handed approach to 'channel content' is probably correct from a legal standpoint, but it obviates any trust I've built over 20 years doing business with them.

It's not a 'channel' you produce, Roku, it's an implemented solution you have already sold to thousands of satisfied customers, and you don't have any right to remove that support without justification.

It's unlikely Roku will fix it, because that would involve admitting fault, and the big guys (Apple, Amazon) will likely make this a non-argument very soon.

It's a shame.   That old M500 blew our minds back in the day, and these folks have clearly lost the path to innovation.

0 Kudos
tazzarazz
Reel Rookie

I would think it has more to do with paying for a NAS remote player to use on Roku pupu

0 Kudos
anode505
Streaming Star

Plex works from the synology NAS.  But kinda sucked getting the metadata done.  only picked up about 1/2.

0 Kudos
GDubs

Yep, not going to upgrade Roku any more. Time to migrate to another platform. My loyalty to Synology runs far deeper than to Roku.

0 Kudos
anode505
Streaming Star

They deleted the app from the Roku, but left the icon on the home screen, another bonehead move by the hasbeen Roku.

0 Kudos
rhawk204

I just tried to play a movie on my Roku using DS Video and it is no longer an option to select. The app was removed from the Roku. What is the options that I can use to play the videos that are on my synology server

0 Kudos
fluke
Roku Guru

@Strega wrote:

For most apps on Roku, the app writer is the content provider.  But in this case, the app writer is/was Synology.  Of course, they have already told someone else to just use Roku Media Player, but it doesn’t hurt to let them know that you don’t like that solution.

I agree that it seems like the pressure needs to be put on Synology.

My guess is the removal of DS Video for Roku is preparing for the roll out of Roku OS 11.5.  Companies like Synology have been notified for a while now that some apps would have to be revised to address deprecated/removed API calls in the channel.  I am guessing Synology figured it would be easier/cheaper to just point customers to Roku Media Player's (RMP) support of DNLA than to update the code for their app.

Synology's contact us page is here:

https://www.synology.com/en-us/company/contact_us 

0 Kudos
anode505
Streaming Star

>>What is the options that I can use to play the videos that are on my synology server

Ruku media player adn point it to the NAS.  or Plex.  Plex will give a polished look while RMP is just a bare bones file browser of sorts.

0 Kudos