Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dead2me
Binge Watcher

Complete removal of DS Video, from the Channel Store & All devices

Seriously?  Making something no longer available for installation is one thing, but removing existing installations from my devices is a complete overreach. 

I will be tossing every Roku device in the circular file, and purchasing new devices for my family so they can connect to my library. Luckily the Amazon and Google devices have much better versions of DS Video and can also control the Roku TVs I have, or I would toss those out with the Ultra models I stupidly purchased.  I have recommended your devices for years, and the number of folks who purchased as a result is a drop in the bucket to you I am sure, but they will be purchasing new devices now as well.  Brilliant heavy-handed move.   Way to make your devices obsolete in yet another way. 

32 REPLIES 32
dead2me
Binge Watcher

Re: Complete removal of DS Video, from the Channel Store & All devices

Even though the DS video apps from others were far superior, I couldn't justify replacing all devices just for that,  You made it a no-brainer.

DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

@dead2me 

Generally things like that happen for one of several reasons.

1) The app violates copyright. This does not apply in this case, but is actually a common reason other apps disappear.

2) The agreement to carry the app expired, and the developer requested removal. Synology Website no longer lists Roku as a supported platform. I did find information that support for Roku was being phased out in 2018. This indicates that Synology finally pulled the plug on Roku support.

3) A screw-up. This may be what's going on, as Synology stopped major app updates on Roku four years ago, but left the app in place. Often remove from the store does not also remove from devices except for legal reasons (1) or developer direction (2).

I suspect (2), but it could be (3). Unless Roku or Synology specifically address it, or if someone can provide a link to where they already did, we're stuck guessing which it is. Though I'm leaning towards (2)

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

dead2me
Binge Watcher

Yet the MFR of the connecting device has to create the App, not Synology.  Synology retired an SDK as I understood, but all of the others kept developing better versions. 

The offerings from Amazon and Google (Google TV OS, Android devices) Apple for all of their devices are infinitely better than the Roku version was.  That said, the existing Roku version was usable, although quite austere. 

Is there something I am missing? Synology does not create the apps for any of the devices, only VideoStation on the NAS itself. 

0 Kudos
Bri_Wess
Reel Rookie

Great job Roku.. What a PUNCH! I'll be tossing all Roku devices in the garbage and ensuring all my friends and family move to Firesticks and advise all who will listen to stay clear of Roku devices. At least Amazon and Chrome won't just rip my apps away... STUPID! 

Strega
Roku Guru

It’s probably worth mentioning that Roku only builds a very few apps like The Roku Channel and Roku Media player.  It seems that Synology (or some third party) built the app, but support for it was dropped in 2018 and you can see evidence of people complaining of it not working in the years that followed.  As such, my guess would be that Synology got tired of getting support calls for an obsolete/unsupported app and pulled it to reduce the support calls.

I see a support thread on a Synology forum where Synology told him to use Roku Media Player instead.

0 Kudos
dead2me
Binge Watcher

Roku Media Player will only connect if you are on the same local network, and it's lame at best.  No features, no search capabilities, not that DS Video for Roku was great, but the Info was there, the ability to create playlists and favorites.   Anyway, this is a dead horse, and Roku can sit on a cactus. 

Strega
Roku Guru

Well, tell that to Synology because I was only relaying their answer. 

anode505
Streaming Star

nVidia Shield here I come, Landfill here comes Roku.

SO tired of the roku bugs, even if this isn't their fault its the straw that broke the camel's back.

dead2me
Binge Watcher

So here's a question.  How does Roku not have any ownership or accountability here?  Every other vendor has written/created their own version of DS Video for their devices.  You can't tell us that it isn't extremely popular overall if Amazon, Apple, Samsung and Google have created their own versions of it.  Roku simply doesn't care to do so themselves, and if Synology created the original DS Video for Roku, why didn't Roku care enough about their own customers to tell Synology to put a cork in it.  Why did Roku choose to value Synology's request more than the Roku customers who used it?   It makes no sense, other than Roku simply didn't give a Sh*t about the customers who were using the app. 

Synology - 1

Roku owners who were using DS Video - 0

Roku - no score for being willfully ignorant/inconsiderate/apathetic/Insert adjective here:_______

My new Amazon Fire Cube is already set up and going and I won't even give my Roku devices away as you guys don't deserve any more folks added to your user base.  I hope this has more of a ripple effect than you coconut heads at Roku thought it would.