Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CrowMo
Binge Watcher

Commercial started appearing while watching "Single-handed" on Acorn. What's up?

Jump to solution

This has never happened before, but commercial ads started popping up while we were watching the above program.  Each time a commercial played it was twice as long as the one before it.  Super frustrating!  Anyone have an idea how to fix this?  TIA

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
BillieAnnie
Roku Guru

Re: Commercial started appearing while watching "Single-handed" on Acorn. What's up?

Jump to solution

A Roku is merely a streaming device with channels offered by different companies. Just like a smartphone. The Acorn TV channel is developed by RJL entertainment. Roku doesn’t decide what ads you see while watching Acorn TV. So if you have any questions regarding ads/commercials while watching Acorn TV might I suggest you contact RJL entertainment 

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
BillieAnnie
Roku Guru

Re: Commercial started appearing while watching "Single-handed" on Acorn. What's up?

Jump to solution

A Roku is merely a streaming device with channels offered by different companies. Just like a smartphone. The Acorn TV channel is developed by RJL entertainment. Roku doesn’t decide what ads you see while watching Acorn TV. So if you have any questions regarding ads/commercials while watching Acorn TV might I suggest you contact RJL entertainment 

CrowMo
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Thanks for your reply.  I contacted Acorn about this, and this is their reply:

Thank you, using the information supplied we see that your Acorn TV membership was created us the Roku subscription service. Roku is a third party provider of Acorn TV with separate billing and subscription information that is outside of our direct accounts. At times a few of our third party providers, such as Roku, will add commercials with their subscriptions, they will however give you a commercial free option at an added cost. All of our direct subscription will always be commercial free at no additional cost to you. 

If you would like to know how to get a direct subscription with Acorn TV that is add free please reply to this message with a contact number and a convenient time to call you. We can contact you  by phone to answer any questions you may have.

Best wishes,
The Acorn TV Team

Seems like everybody is trying to pass the buck.  There doesn't seem to be any way to contact Roku directly.  Help?  Anybody else ever experienced commercials through Acorn  /Roku?

0 Kudos
Ello2022
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Why don’t you just cancel your Roku subscription for Acorn TV and sign back up directly through Acorn themselves?

0 Kudos
HDMIGuy
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

BillieAnnie   It appears that Roku does decide what adds you see if you subscribe through Roku.

0 Kudos
Ello2022
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@BillieAnnie  Maybe they didn’t know he was subscribed through Roku. There is no mentioning of how @CrowMo subscribes 

0 Kudos
CrowMo
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Using the Roku stick is the only way we can watch it on our tv.  Trying to play through a device to the tv won't give us audio, only video (maybe it's the other way around).

0 Kudos
CrowMo
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Perhaps you're right, but it's the first time it has ever happened in over 6 months.

0 Kudos
CrowMo
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

To further complicate the issue....we originally subscribed through Acorn directly.  Then we subscribed through Roku in order to watch it on our tv and cancelled our sub through Acorn.

On the night this happened, my son logged into my (now defunct) Acorn app on my iPad while we were watching.  That's when the commercials started.  Frankly I'm surprised it let him log in.

0 Kudos
Ello2022
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@CrowMo  You didn’t have to cancel your original Acorn subscription. I had to do was download the Acorn channel onto your Roku and login with your Acorn credentials you made. Was your son logged in to your Roku account you made for Acorn? Either way it’s always best to subscribe directly through the service. I don’t even have a credit card on file with Roku. 

0 Kudos