Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
buffalovers
Reel Rookie

Choppy video on Netflix European shows

Recently purchased a new Roku Ultra, but unfortunately certain shows on Netflix have very choppy playback. I'm still working through which shows exactly this happens with but right now it appears to be focused on shows from European origin such as Great British Bake Off, Lupin, etc..., Other shows don't have this issue, nor do other channels (HBO, disney, etc...,) and I've reset, checked for updates, and done all I can think of to resolve this issue but nothing works.

I should note that my old roku worked fine and we never noticed this issue (I think Roku 3)

Labels (1)
9 REPLIES 9
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Choppy video on Netflix European shows

@buffalovers

Thanks for the post.

Try removing the channel from the Roku home screen by navigating to the channel tile, pressing the * key on your remote and choosing 'Remove channel'. Then restart your device from Settings>System>System restart. Once your player starts up again, add the channel back once more.

Does this clear up the issue you are seeing? Please keep us posted what you find out.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
buffalovers
Reel Rookie

Nope. Did as prescribed and still having the issue watching GBBO but not on other shows. Still mostly appears to be found on european shows but haven't confirmed if this is exclusive or not.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@buffalovers

Thanks for the follow up.

If this issue is only occurring on that specific channel, it's probably an indication that there is an issue with the channel itself and the channel provider may need to investigate further. Many channels on Roku are developed and maintained by the channel provider themselves. 

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Caroline1

I’m having this problem too. Recently upgraded my Roku and now certain shows on Netflix have choppy playback. The problem does seem to be limited to European shows (e.g. “Stay Close” is choppy but “Squid Game” is not). Why are new Rokus having this issue?

RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

Hello @Caroline1

Thanks for reaching out!

If you haven't tried yet, we would recommend following the troubleshooting steps provided by @RokuDanny-R above then let us know if there's any difference after.

We look forward to your response.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
buffalovers
Reel Rookie

I'm just responding to this again as we still have issues. I've tried other Roku devices, and there isn't a problem. It is only with Netflix on this Roku device, on certain European shows like great British bake off. 

Is there a way to get a replacement?

@RokuKariza-D @RokuDanny-R 

0 Kudos
tomo123

I'm also having this problem on Netflix. I just bought a brand new Roku Streambar and UK shows have a weird video stutter.  I'm using an older Sony 1080p TV.  Life in Colour with David Attenborough is very noticeable and Octonauts has the issue as well. The Canadian bakeoff looks fine and so does greys anatomy.  I tried removing the app and restarting but it did not fix it. I also tried disabling the frame rate adjust but that didn't help either.  It is more noticeable with fast scenes or when the camera pans a lot.  My guess is it has to do with the framerate conversion.  Watching similar nature shows on Disney+ National geographic doesn't have any problems.

Edit: My TV had a setting called Cinemotion which was enabled on my HDMI input.  Disabling this seems to have fixed it.

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@buffalovers @tomo123
Thanks for the posts.

If you are experiencing this issue only on a specific channel with specific content, you'll want to contact the channel provider support directly to inquire further to see what insight they can provide. Many channels on Roku are developed and maintained by the channel provider themselves. 

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Davewn50

Thank you so much for this!  We also have an older Sony 1080P HDTV that only had video judder issues on British TV shows.  Turning off the Cinemotion setting immediately solved the problem.

0 Kudos