Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AjUzi900673x
Binge Watcher

Channels are working during playback

Ticket was created for an issue towards the most recent updated firmware build 4193.30 vers 11. Since updating my tcl roku tv certain streaming applications are unable to stream. Playback error or expired title notification shows. Contacted tcl manufacturer’s tech support which the representative redirected me to roku’s customer support in the attempt troubleshooting the issue. Unfortunately testing all viable options (which to including factory resetting device) the problematic situation is still reoccurring. I’ve reported the issue with all streaming platforms to including reporting the tracker number with roku customer support and providing feedback on the options menu with all applications. After exhausting all options for the moment, I took it upon myself to try certain rokus secret codes to troubleshooting the issue. I even altered certain settings to ensure no outside cyber enthusiast would be able to intercept or compromise the device. Anywho I was able to figure out somewhat a quick bandaid fix but regardless it doesn’t work for all streaming applications such as Peacock, Hulu, Starz/ Showtime on roku channel, even the Roku channel itself and Amazon prime. The only method that worked was to delete the app which was the roku channel and redownload, however upon streaming one program, it will revert to the same outcome in attempting to stream another program and would have to do the process continuously. This by no means is a isp issue; I am using a eero pro 6 which I even contacted them as well. The only data I was able to find out is that the activity section of the eero platform is there was an extreme amount of ad blocking activity, whereas within a day the program was blocking roughly about 57,000. I researched further and was able to retrieve data that a cyber enthusiast deliberately attacked the network by flooding it’s network, packet sniffing & snooping, igmp/ udp/icmp attacks, DDOS & Dos attacks, and other forms of attacks. Aside from the playback errors I also encountered glitching on screen. Attempted to reach out to the representative via email towards the ticket that was created, however no response on the matter. Granted this will not be a quick fix under the circumstances because others have shared the same experiences once subscribers updated their firmware. I would hope this will reach to someone who can provide some assistance on the matter.

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
AjUzi900673x
Binge Watcher

In addition to this post here are two links that may assist on a continuous situation which the company may have not addressed accordingly. My roku tv was purchased at the end of 2018 , so needless to say this could be a plausible reason for these services being interrupted. Any consumer and subscriber whom have purchased roku products prior or during these years mentioned on these articles below, could be a potential affected subscriber towards these flawed updates. Again this is not to cause a panic, uproar, or accusation towards the manufacture or developer on the problematic reoccurrence. This post is only to raise awareness and to support a plausible understanding or reasoning towards the situation that is being addressed by a concerned subscriber.  

* https://securityledger.com/2020/12/dhs-looking-into-cyber-risk-from-tcl-smart-tvs/

https://nationalinterest.org/blog/techland/does-your-tcl-roku-tv-have-security-flaw-answer-no-175386

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@AjUzi900673x

Thanks for the posts.

We would be more than happy to look further into this issue for you.

Can you please provide us the following information:
-Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-router brand, make and model
-ISP (internet service provider)
-does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found be selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
-tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times and provide us with this ID)
-steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing 
With more detailed information, we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
AjUzi900673x
Binge Watcher

Thank you Mr. Danny on your timely response towards my post. 

In addition I did report the situation with my ISP but also with local law officials and Federal agencies due to several individuals where I reside whom are cyber enthusiast as recorded activities were being monitored of their cyber intruding actions and attack on my private network. All channels that have streaming services are having complications in playback. I would receive a message after ad plays which states. [playback error/expired/ time lapsed, please try again or contact your streaming service provider].

Peacock TV: Vrs 3.5 build 31

Hulu: Vrs 6.60 build 0

Starz: Vrs 3.20 build 18

Roku Channel: (Starz/ Showtime) Vrs 6.0 build 15

Amazon Prime: Vrs 14.0 build 2022032210

Software OS/version: 11.0.0 build: 4193-30

Router: Eero Pro 6 mod: K010011

ISP: Sonic Internet Services

Report Tracker Issue ID: 99-195-522 on May 16, 2022 @ 11:45 am PST

again on May 23, 2022  Report Tracker Issue ID: 99-195-603

Report Tracker Issue ID: 99-230-454 Jun 9, 2022 @ 18:54 pst

I would hope the intruder wasn’t able to corrupt or infect the the firmware or attack the kernel because I was experiencing DDOS/ Dos attacks and other forms attacks including packet sniffing/snooping, network flooding, etc. I would hope all the information that is supplied to you, would be beneficial in order to assist in fulfilling the teams task. As for the other information that you’ve requested ( roku device model, serial number, and device I.D.) I do not feel comfortable in sharing that information on a public forum, however I did send a reply via email since I received a notification with your message attached to it. I would hope you were able to see that reply; if you did not receive that particular email would there be a way to forward you that information privately. Thank you once again for your attention and assistance, if you have any further questions or concerns please do not hesitate to respond.

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Channels are working during playback

Hi @AjUzi900673x,

Thanks for following up and providing the information.

We would also recommend trying to connect your Roku device to an alternate network, such as a mobile hotspot to see if you are still experiencing the issue you are seeing?

Please keep us posted and we'll continue assisting from there if needed.

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
AjUzi900673x
Binge Watcher

Yes ma’am I attempted to utilize my external mobile hotspot and unfortunately it is still conducting the same outcome. I am in the process of ordering components, circuit boards, ribbons and any other electronic items for this tv. However upon examining ribbons circuit boards and cables everything looks intact (this is in reference towards the glitching of the monitor). Streaming issues on various platforms are still reoccurring. I have reached out to tcl customer support only able to report the issue but no assistance were provided. This is a 3yr old product which was purchased on August of 2018. It has been in a storage facility for roughly a year in an air condition environment with the original packaging. I only use this tv as of recent and when it is not in use I disconnect the Ethernet from its port and disengage the power cord to ensure it is not continuously running while idling. I would hope the most recent firmware has not caused this issue, but upon reading certain comments from other users and subscribers on a discussion board it seems that I am not the only one who is experiencing these types of issues. 

Respectfully, 
AJ 
0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@AjUzi900673x

Thanks for the follow up.

can you please provide us the following information:
-Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)

Once we have this information, we will be able to pass it along to the appropriate Roku team to investigate further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos