Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KJV1469

Channel access inquiry | Uncertified private channel

Jump to solution

My friends have been telling me this for a while now, to add secret channel codes on roku. Well today my stress levels were elevated for i spent hours trying to figure out why adding a secret channel code was not working for me. I looked at countless Youtube videos on how to and still i had no luck. Then after reading other users comments and searching all over the web i finally figured out that roku pulled this option and took away everyones content pertaining to secret channels away from its users!!! Wow! Really roku?? First off its hella shady what roku did and second off why not have an updated site where the option of adding a hidden channel is no more.  Roku wants to swipe everyones hidden content away yet still have on their site the place to add a code for hidden content. No wonder why i couldnt figure out why it wasnt working for me. Because the **bleep** is disabled. Well i guess im switching back to fire stick unless roku fixes major issue. 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@KJV1469 

Roku put the word out months ago about the change to the beta channel program. You missed all that, it seems.

The codes for newly submitted beta apps will work. There is a limit on the number of beta apps each developer can have, how long the app will be around, and the number of users for each app (which I think is way too low of a number, but Roku doesn't care what I think, so okay).

The problem was that developers were uploading apps and not going through the certification process. There was nothing in place to prevent developers from stopping at that point. And, yes, some non-certified apps did actually damage Roku setups (buggered up the software, which was fixable with a lot of work).

Roku now has limits. If developers want to have an app, there's a process. If the old apps met standards, it should be easy for them to be submitted and approved. If not, the developers need to fix them then submit them.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
DBDukes

Jump to solution

@KJV1469 

Roku put the word out months ago about the change to the beta channel program. You missed all that, it seems.

The codes for newly submitted beta apps will work. There is a limit on the number of beta apps each developer can have, how long the app will be around, and the number of users for each app (which I think is way too low of a number, but Roku doesn't care what I think, so okay).

The problem was that developers were uploading apps and not going through the certification process. There was nothing in place to prevent developers from stopping at that point. And, yes, some non-certified apps did actually damage Roku setups (buggered up the software, which was fixable with a lot of work).

Roku now has limits. If developers want to have an app, there's a process. If the old apps met standards, it should be easy for them to be submitted and approved. If not, the developers need to fix them then submit them.

DBDukes

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

KJV1469

Jump to solution

Thanks that makes better sense than from any other stuff i read. A few bad apps from people ruins it for the rest of us. Im not tech savvy what so ever but you put it clear to where i understand. If this was mentioned months ago why does roku still have the place to add tje codes? Is this used for the new developers as well as you mentioned? If so where can i go to access these codes and explore the area of roku ive missed out on?

0 Kudos
DBDukes

Jump to solution

@KJV1469 

It's more of a true beta program, not a public beta. It would be designed for the developers reach out. They may post publicly asking for people to test, but with the small number of beta testers per app (10; I still say that's too low), if more than 10 try to load a code, it'll just cause more headaches.

I suspect that developers would actually be looking for just beta testers, rather than beta users. They would likely want people to follow scripts and test certain functionality, and probably sign NDAs.

I've run beta apps on different devices (PCs, Macs, Roku, TiVo, etc) and it's different being an official beta tester than being a beta user.

You could reach out to the developers of the apps you used before, and if they want people to test, or just use, find out what options you have. You already know how to add apps, so you'll be ahead of the game for some.

DBDukes

MilesT
Roku Guru

Re: Channel access inquiry | Uncertified private channel

Jump to solution

@DBDukes 

Certification is not quite that straightforward.  Roku has also upped the requirements to be certified in last 18 months e.g. must support voice search, and I think also requires more of a toll payment (placing adverts in content, share of subscription through Roku billing etc.)

Some apps would have needed work to comply, and some developers didn't like the commercial model so would never request certification, or for content and similar reasons felt they would not pass (e.g. apparently vidangel, who requested certification more than once but were refused for various reasons, but ultimately certification is at Roku discretion)

Other more open streaming possibilities now and in future.

Not a Roku employee
photoeye

Jump to solution

Yeah.. This seems wrong and I'll stop purchasing Roku.

DBDukes

Jump to solution

@photoeye wrote:

Yeah.. This seems wrong and I'll stop purchasing Roku.

Well, Apple has a certification process. Google has a certification process. Amazon has a certification process. So ...

DBDukes

SLEM1

Jump to solution

Does anyone have or know where to find Roku's certification process?

0 Kudos
TrooperDada326
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Sure call corporate 🤣

0 Kudos
DBDukes

Jump to solution

@SLEM1 

Start here:

https://developer.roku.com/docs/developer-program/publishing/channel-publishing-guide.md

DBDukes

Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.