Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Irates

Cast a movie from University link - How to?

A local university is sponsoring a film series where one can subscribe and receive a link to watch the movie. I'd certainly prefer to watch the movie on my dumb TV rather than on my iPhone or PC.

I have the Roku app and the TV Cast Pro apps on my phone and a Roku stick, but don't use either very often.

How do I cast the movie to my TV?

This geezer thanks you!

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Cast a movie from University link - How to?

@Irates 

I don't have the TV Cast Pro version but general instructions for TV Cast app/apk.

1. Install the TV Cast (Pro) app/apk on your phone/mobile device.

2. Install the companion channel/app to your Roku device. (https://channelstore.roku.com/details/e8e8c57429f1cb38b6df4ba2532e0f75/tv-cast-official)

3. Launch the TV Cast (Pro) app on the mobile device and select "Web Browser".  Type or paste a streaming web address/link in the search box (magnifying glass).

4. You can then press the Cast icon in upper right of screen (little box with some signal waves) that will then attempt to connect to the companion channel/app installed on your Roku device.  Then look below for a little message in same area "External videos detected.  Tap here to open list." 

5. Click on the link provided (should open your video on TV) using Roku's Play On feature.  It may take a while to load.  (on the free version, a seperate box appears near bottom to click to send the video to TV).

[You need to make sure both your mobile device and the Roku device on are same wireless network.]

---------

This particular app was always little slow and I had trouble loading some videos with this app on my Roku devices when I discovered it, so I use Web Video Caster.  (https://channelstore.roku.com/details/dd37e6d096d3197a9578787890118e33/web-video-caster-receiver).  Works very similar to TV Cast but allows you to stream more things and over different casting protocols to Roku in case one has an issue.  (Install Web Video Caster to mobile device, its companion channel/app to Roku device).

Just make sure you try using your TV Cast app and get it working before trying it for the first time when your event is about to begin.  There is also a little help video when you open the app for first time users.

------

Alternatively, if you have a laptop with an HDMI port, you can simply load the web link (movie link) you are provided in any web browser and then plug the HDMI cable directly to your TV.  You then use the TV in an extended monitor mode. (select appropriate HDMI Input).  This eliminates need for the Roku and any casting apps.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos