Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
reztles
Binge Watcher

Cannot play anything on Roku channel only

Jump to solution

This is only affecting the Roku channel.  All other channels work fine.  When I try to play any show, nothing happens.  No errors just a blink and return to the exact selection menu.  This was working two days ago then just stopped working.  

I have a Roku Model 3810x.  So far I have checked for software updates (there weren't any), turned the tv off-unplugged it-plugged it back in, did a system restart on the Roku device, unplugged the Roku device-plugged it back in, restarted my router, removed-reinstalled roku app, checked network connectivity on the tv and the Roku.

When all of this failed, I installed the app directly on my smart tv to bypass the Roku device completely.  The Roku channel does not work this way either.  But this time I get an error message "Playback Error - Unfortunately, we are unable to play this content.  Please try again later."  Also, does not work on my phone.

Any suggestions on what to try next?  Thanks.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
reztles
Binge Watcher

Re: Cannot play anything on Roku channel only

Jump to solution

I purchased a Linksys AC1900 router and connected it.  Everything works as it should.  Thank you all for isolating the problem as a router issue. 

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@reztles 

Couple of thoughts.

@reztles wrote:

... removed-reinstalled roku app ...

The proper process is:

1. Remove the app
  2. Reboot the Roku
  3. Reinstall the app

All three steps, in that order.

The other thought relates to an issue another user reported that was similar. It appeared as if their ISP was blocking Roku Channel, since it was happening on multiple platforms (not all Roku).

What's your ISP?

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
reztles
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Doing the process in this order did not help.  My ISP is Glofiber (Shentel).  The app is coming up just not streaming the content.  What would I tell Shentel?  I do not know where the Roku Channel content is being streamed from.

Thank you.

reztles
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Just spoke with Shentel.  They do not block any content. According to them it is on Roku Channel's end.  

I went to the channel's website on my PC and tried to run a show.  I received the error "An error occurred loading this page - Error: 451" 

0 Kudos
DBDukes

Jump to solution

@reztles 

That's odd.

If that's an HTTP error, then 451 is blocked for legal reasons. link

Not sure that the 451 actually represents the corresponding number HTTP error, but if it is, then something really unexpected is happening.

Are you using a VPN?

DBDukes
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

Jump to solution

@reztles 

In troubleshooting the similar issue with the other user that @DBDukes may be referring to, we have kind of narrowed it/isolated it down to the router. (whether it is a setting, or firmware issue, still awaiting an update.)

(https://community.roku.com/t5/Channel-Issues-Questions/Roku-Channel-Not-Playing-Videos-On-TCL-Roku-T...)

Perhaps read that thread over there, and update your posting here with your results of your troubleshooting.  If you have a similar network setup as the other user, perhaps try running an ethernet cable directly from your modem to your TV or laptop and see if you can now view the Roku Channel.

Describe your network as well if you are using any ad-blockers, pi-hole/raspberry, or vpns as requested above.  Router and modem model numbers would be helpful as well.

Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

reztles
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

The Fiber modem is a Nokia X5-010x-q provided by Glofiber ISP.  Connected to an ASUS RT-AC3100 Router.  My computer is connected to the router using ethernet cable.  My tv, Roku and phone are connected using Wi-Fi (all 5G). 

After realizing that I could not stream content from the Roku channel from the Roku device nor from the Roku app installed directly on my TV, I installed the Roku app on my phone and still could not stream content.  I went to the Roku channel on my computer and still was unable to stream content.  So I cannot stream Roku content using either wi-fi or lan, nor on any device.  So the issue is not device specific.

I have rebooted my router, then when that did not fix the problem I unplugged the router.  Roku streaming stopped working yesterday morning sometime and nothing has changed on my network in months that I am aware of.  Router updates have to be done manually and I did the last one a couple of months ago. 

My network is pretty much straight forward.  No special configurations, VPNs or add blockers.  My DNS server is a standard configuration for this router.  No restrictions in the Firewall.

I will check for newer firmware updates for the router in the morning. I can try to connect my computer directly to the modem also.  I wasn't aware that was even an option until I read through the other post.

renojim

Jump to solution

Another thing to check since you can't watch it on any device is where Roku thinks you're located based upon your IP address.  ISPs will buy blocks of IP addresses and it sometimes takes a while for the various databases to get updated with the correct location.

Try among others:

https://www.iplocation.net/
https://www.geolocation.com/
https://www.ip-lookup.org/location

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
reztles
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I checked the ip location sites and they show the ip is owned by Shentel and is located here in VA. 

I unplugged the router and connected the computer directly to the modem.  I was able to stream content from the Roku channel on my computer.  I reconnected the router and Roku channel stopped streaming.  Definitely something with the router.  Nothing has changed as far as I know.

I will check for firmware updates.  If that doesn't work, I guess the next step is reset the router to factory defaults?  Is there something less drastic to try first?  Is it possible the router is just incompatible with streaming Roku content?  This is the only channel that I am having issues with.

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

Jump to solution

@reztles 

Have you tried changing the DNS servers in your router to the Google public DNS yet?  (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4)

I could not find the Glofiber/Shentel DNS, but alternatively, you could also try putting those in your Asus router as well in case it is being redirected by another setting. (may have to contact Glofiber for these, or again do a modem-only connection and then an IP/DNS leak test suggested by @renojim to discover the DNS servers being used.)

(https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1045253)

----

EDIT -- If after changing the DNS servers, the Roku Channel still refuses to load, would not hurt to Reset the Network Connection and try again. (Settings/System/Advanced System Settings/Network Connection Reset/Reset Connection).

Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102