Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AFBMBA

Can’t watch Starz. Receiving an upgrade error

I have attempted to access Starz by signing in via my cable provider, but I am receiving an error message that I have to upgrade and contact customer service.

0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Can’t watch Starz. Receiving an upgrade error

@AFBMBA 

That would mean the the service (Starz) is not able to authenticate against your cable provider (Cable Company) using credentials entered via the app (built by Starz).

Start with your Cable Company customer service.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
zolar
Reel Rookie

Same thing happening to me. I can access Roku apps with my cable subscriptions to HBO, Showtime, and EPIX. STARZ is the outlier. No reason to believe that the issue is with my cable provider when Roku HBOMax, Showtime Anytime, and EPIX apps are all working fine with cable credentials. STARZ app is completely bogus because even when it did work, so many of the available movies were blocked unless I opted to pay for a subscription - to a service that I'm already subscribed too! It doesn't make any sense to me. Why wouldn't Roku do something to either clarify or fix the issue instead of pushing it back onto paying customers?

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@zolar

Thanks for the post.

For clarification, are you subscribed to STARZ through Roku Pay or are you subscribed to the channel provider directly? In addition, how are you trying to access STARZ content?

With more detailed information, we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
zolar
Reel Rookie

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm logged into the STARZ app on Roku with my cable credentials. I just removed the STARZ app and added it back so I could capture the steps:

1. Go to LOG IN in the Roku STARZ app

2. It says "Log n with your STARZ account or TV Provider", next line is "Go to https://www.starz.com/activate on your phone or computer and enter this code:" next line is the code

3. Following those steps (don't forget the https in the address), next option is to log into STARZ directly, and below that are log in options for Apple, Google, maybe something else, then TV Provider. 

4. Clicking TV Provider, I get a list of providers. 

5. Clicking my provider, it takes me to a specific login page

6. Enter my cable credentials, click OK (or maybe it was submit but whatever) it then says "Success. Your device is now linked to your account and will update shortly."

7. The app updates and I'm now logged in.

After uninstalling/reinstalling the app, I don't get the problem anymore where it asks me to subscribe whenever I open the app. I guess I thought I was already logged in because of the little avatar picture for my profile, but I was actually logged out of the app. I still see a number of "locked" movies, but they mostly seen available. I think last few times I checked my playlist that I created, almost all of those movies were locked. I don't even see them in my list anymore though.

0 Kudos
tgif

Starz is an app I pay for. I have firestick on one TV (living room) and Roku on 3 sets in bedrooms. I can watch Starz just fine in living room on TV w/ firestick but on Roku tvs, it says I need to "Jump Back In For $3/mo." Why can't I view Starz on these tvs with Roku devices?

tgif

I'm trying to do these steps, but I don't even know how to delete the Starz app in the first place!!!

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@tgif

Thanks for the post.

Have you tried re-authenticating your Starz credentials on your Roku devices? You can remove a channel from the Roku Home screen by selecting the channel and pressing the * button then selecting the option to remove the channel. Please be aware that after removing a channel from the Roku device, it's important to restart the Roku device before adding the channel back again and authenticating.

Please keep us posted what you find out.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
SunnyOne

I am having the same issue.  Using my ROKU, I cannot watch most Starz movies, says I need to upgrade my account.  If I login via a PC using the same login, I can watch them.  There is a lock icon on content that says I must upgrade when using my ROKU.

So far I have tried to remove channel, reset the ROKU, re-add and re-authorize without success.

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@SunnyOne

Thanks for the post.

For more information about that channel's features and functionality, you'll want to contact the channel provider support directly to inquire further. Many channels on Roku are developed and maintained by the channel provider themselves. 

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos