Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mulveyr
Reel Rookie

Can't play Hulu shows -- error P DEV320

Jump to solution

Hi All:

I have an Ultra 4K stick. Sometime in the last week or so, whenever I try to play a Hulu show, I get a P DEV320 error a few seconds after the show starts.

So far I've:

1) Deleted and reinstalled the Hulu app

2) Logged out and back into the Hulu app

3) Rebooted many, many times. Both with the on-screen reboot option, as well as by removing power for several minutes.

4) Made sure the Hulu app is up to date.

I can log into Hulu from my laptop and play shows without issue, so it's clearly not an account problem.

Any other suggestions for things I can try?

4 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
MoviesProbably
Roku Guru

Re: Can't play Hulu shows -- error P DEV320

Jump to solution

I got the P Dev320 error anytime I tried to watch The Great or any other Hulu original. Other TV shows and movies played fine but all Hulu originals threw up that error. I tried all the prescribed troubleshooting and none of it worked.

As weird as it sounds, what finally worked for me was going into Settings>Display Type and changing the display setting from "automatic", which included HDR10, and changing it to the setting that matched the resolution of my TV without HDR. Then, I restarted the Roku and went back into Hulu after the reboot. I don't know, maybe Hulu originals are incompatible with HDR or something but it worked and I've finally been able to watch season 3 of The Great.

View solution in original post

Lking2thesky
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I looked up the menu on a TCL Roku tv. It looks like if you select SETTINGS from the main menu, and then select TV PICTURE SETTINGS then that might put you in the right place. If there is an option for (may say) Automatic 1080p HDR10, UNSELECT that option and choose just 1080p TV or 720p TV. It would appear that the HDR (high dynamic range) is what's causing the issue. I pray this helps. 😊

dcronin135
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I actually found the root-cause to these issues.  It's not what you might think.  The remedies people post online seem to be short-term fixes, and not a solution.  More than likely you are connected to a multi-band access point supporting a variety of radio frequencies.  I've posted the root-cause on both Hulu and Roku communities, and tried to explain what's happening in laymen's terms.  No more band-aid housekeeping;  resetting, reinstalling, rebooting anything.  I found the fix on 02/14/2024, and so far to date, Hulu works 100% on every load request.  I have several Roku TV's, as-well-as 40+ other devices on my home network, and the solution I posted in those communities has worked ever since.  Hope this helps.

0 Kudos
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Welcome and thank you for posting here in the Roku Community, @HoneyMay4046!

It is highly appreciated that you've brought this to our attention and we'd be more than happy to suggest some troubleshooting steps to help you reboot the Hulu channel.

Is this an isolated case within the Hulu channel only? If so, kindly follow the steps provided below precisely to work:

• Remove channel: navigate to your Home screen, move to the right, highlight the app, press Star*, then select Remove channel
  • Perform a system reboot: navigate to your Home, select Settings > System > Power (skip if unavailable) > System restart
  • Re-install the channel: navigate to your Home, scroll and select Store, look for the channel, then press Add channel

For reference and further information, kindly visit our Support article on How to resolve a channel playback issue.

If the issue persists, we highly recommend reaching out to the channel provider themselves as they are the ones who provided and maintained their channel on the Roku streaming platform. Their channel may need an update and you can reach them on their official Support website.

We hope you get everything sorted out soon so you can get back on streaming Hulu and we'll be looking forward to your update. Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator

0 Kudos
43 REPLIES 43
RokuMel
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hello @mulveyr,

Welcome to your first post at the Roku community!

We understand that you're not able to play HULU on your Roku device and we thank you for doing the troubleshooting steps on your end. Error code P-DEV320 is a HULU error message and in order for you to resolve this issue, you need to clear the cache on the app.  We need to gather more information about this issue:

• Is this the only channel that's having an issue?
  • Did you restart your Roku device before adding the channel back?

You can follow these steps below to make sure you're doing the right troubleshooting process:

• Highlight the HULU app and press the * button on your remote to remove the channel
  • To clear the cache, restart your Roku device first before adding back the channel
  • Try to add back the HULU app and login to check if it's working

You'll want to check this article that will help you resolve this type of issue: How to resolve a channel playback issue

Let us know if the issue still persists!

Best regards,

Mel

Mel
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
mulveyr
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Hello.

The problem applies only to Hulu, I'm not having the issue with any other channels.

As per your message, I:

1) Logged out of the Hulu app

2) Deleted the app from the Roku

3) Rebooted the Roku

4) Re-added the app, and logged in.

The same error reappears when I try, for example, to stream S3E1 of "The Great".

Any additional suggestions?

0 Kudos
RokuKarla
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hello @mulveyr

Thanks for reaching out here in the Community!

If the problem with the channel persists even after removing and reinstalling it upon device restart, I suggest contacting the channel support directly to report the issue and request further assistance. Numerous channels on the Roku platform are created and managed by the channel providers themselves, making them the best resource to address the problem. If other channels are functioning properly and the issue occurs exclusively with that particular channel or app, it is likely that the problem originates within that specific channel. In such cases, the channel provider should investigate the issue to facilitate its resolution.

You can reach Hulu support here: https://help.hulu.com/s/?language=en_US

Regards, 
Karla

0 Kudos
MoviesProbably
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

I got the P Dev320 error anytime I tried to watch The Great or any other Hulu original. Other TV shows and movies played fine but all Hulu originals threw up that error. I tried all the prescribed troubleshooting and none of it worked.

As weird as it sounds, what finally worked for me was going into Settings>Display Type and changing the display setting from "automatic", which included HDR10, and changing it to the setting that matched the resolution of my TV without HDR. Then, I restarted the Roku and went back into Hulu after the reboot. I don't know, maybe Hulu originals are incompatible with HDR or something but it worked and I've finally been able to watch season 3 of The Great.

mulveyr
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Yes! That was exactly it! I set mine to 1080 non-HDR, and it works fine now. Thank you!

Hopefully Roku support will add this to their knowledge base.

MoviesProbably
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

You're welcome, I'm glad it worked for you too. 

amorrow1983
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

This solution worked like a charm. U was having the same issue with Hulu Originals and MAX originals as well. Changed my settings to 1080, and the movies finally play on both apps. Thanks, as this has been a for months now and none of the apps Technical Support were able to help. Roku needs to work on this!

nlavallo

Jump to solution

Thank you for that tip.  I have been having that error message for months and have finally today scoured the internet to see anything but "turn off device, reset WiFi, Router, Roku, TV...your internet is too slow (I upgraded and still have the problem) and FINALLY you had the answer.  It finally works...Maybe HULU should hire you instead of all of those I spoke to who had no answers....Thanks again!!!

Ju5tscream

Jump to solution

Unfortunately I don’t see that in my settings. Sounded like just what I needed too. I’m glad others were able to get their issue resolved. I have a TCL Roku tv so those options may not be available to me. 😞

0 Kudos